Dumaguete Info Search

What if 3D Printing Was 100x Faster?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by KINGCOLE, Jun 6, 2015.

1. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Makes you wonder what will happen to manufacturing industries in the future.

What if 3D Printing Was 100x Faster?

What we think of as 3D printing, says Joseph DeSimone, is really just 2D printing over and over ... slowly. He unveils a bold new technique inspired by Terminator 2 that's 25 to 100 times faster, and creates smooth, strong parts. Could it finally help to fulfill the tremendous promise of 3D printing?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    WOW!

If this technology can happen, like Joseph says is possible to happen, then it WILL be a reality game changer.

WOW!

nwlivewire

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Even more of a reason to get an education these days. Manufacturing jobs are going to be a thing of the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Good point Wrye83.

By the sounds of this technology, education looks useful in something such as chemistry (for creating the materials used) or in engineering (for creating the machines).

Then there's the programing side, too.

This is the kind of stuff that has the potential to revolutionize everyday living in a generation or two - maybe even less.

WOW!

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Sorry but I have to smile at some things, how often have we said this then to find they (Microsoft and all the others) create it and then try to perfect it and Cock it up.

JP :bag::wink:

6. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    HAHAHA. So true.

You know, when I was a kid, I used to sit and ask some of my neighbors (they were of my grandparents and great-grandparents ages) what it was like for them growing up in America between 1880 - 1900.

It dawned on me I was fascinated with the idea that science and technology had taken their lifestyles from horse-and-buggy, trains and telegraphs, windmills, outhouses and kerosene lighting, to cars and planes, telephone, radio and television, hot and cold water with indoor plumbing, electricity and refrigerators with indoor heating and air conditioning - and so much more - and all in the span of 50 years or less.

What a leaping lifestyle of changes! I laugh at myself and see how much my life has changed with all this newer technology, and I can only imagine what the next generation or two of lifestyles might be like.

I wonder if a kid will someday come up to me and ask me what it was like growing up "back then", and if they will ponder on it like I once did.

From being a nation of working farmers to becoming a nation of factory workers, and now, to becoming a nation of "New Frontier" workers of I don't know what.

Such is life!

Stay tuned....

V/R,
    nwlivewire

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    New technology doesn't come without its flaws and bugs and you can't make everyone happy all the time. Windows is a good example: what is the biggest complaint about Windows 8? They changed the start menu. People are reluctant to accept change. I don't care for Windows as an OS overall but currently I can't get around using it because of my job. I certainly don't think that Windows 8 is any less an OS than XP, especially for the average user. They have the same flaws IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2