Dumaguete Info Search

What is the greatest threat to Expat life and limb in Dumaguete?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Bebasguy, May 4, 2014.

1. Bebasguy

Bebasguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My guess is that the traffic will eventually kill all of us!!! (Only a little exaggeration, right?)

It's my belief that one of the main reasons traffic here is so dangerous is that there is absolutely NO enforcement of traffic safety laws. I've been here over five years and have NEVER seen a policeman giving a ticket for a traffic violation. Cops love to set up road blocks to check your license and vehicle paper work. That probably results in some stolen vehicles being recovered. But doesn't improve traffic safety much.

I'd like to encourage this group to organize a little and start putting pressure on the locals to start ticketing AT LEAST the following:

1. Failure to stop at stop signs or upon entering a major thoroughfare.
    2. Driving at night with no lights or improper lights.
    3. Drunk driving.
    4. Failure to yield right of way.
    5. Reckless driving.

Actually, I'd be deliriously happy to see them attack any ONE of these problems. O--O

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I always felt secure in my feeling that I was a good enough driver that I would never get a ticket for running a red light in Dumaguete. Of coarse the fact there is no red lights in Dumaguete helped reinforce that feeling.

Yeah, I have never seen a ticket given in Dumaguete or any of the surrounding areas since coming here, but have been told to be careful during the Christmas season of being pulled over a spoke to until your own Christmas spirit was intense enough to make you want to be graciously "giftful" to the local authorities.

Remember that voted buying is expensive compared to just not enforcing the rules on anyone here. The excuse for not enforcing proper working lights has always been they can not afford to buy them.

3. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I got a parking ticket for stepping out of my car to get a coke at the take-out window of mcd's! The lady traffic cop was just standing there waiting to pounce, because I wasn't even at the window when she was already writing my ticket. I had been there MANY times before, with no problems parking beyond the no parking signs....oh well, all I can say is this particular woman follows me, trying to cause problems. Hopefully she has finally scratched that itch......(paid my 50 php fine the next week).

4. DinoPhil

DinoPhil DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    till now same problem in dumaguete... lack of discipline and not obeying traffic rules and some enforcer seems not to bother this also because its their friend :smile:

5. KanoScott

KanoScott DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I got a parking ticket, lol

6. Black Abbot

Black Abbot DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    each motorist who stops on a crowded main street "just because he/she only did this or that... " should get a hard punch in the face, at least that hurts , not the ridiculous fine. Using the "I done that many times" deserves a second ...

Oh , I stopped on the road because my cousin walked on the other side and I needed to yell for 2 minutes across the street at her asking if she can pass load ...

7. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    FYI, I did not stop in the middle of a crowded main street, and was well beyond the designated no-parking zone. I was within a few feet of my car, was only there for one minute (well within most cities regulations of no parking zones, which allow for a few minutes to pick up goods)....but, I see this forum is getting ugly again, was hoping that was all in the past. It just may be time for this forum to close shop if people can't be respectful and friendly.....this type of hateful posting is what turns many away, of course, unfortunately, many thrive on it....not me. Good day, all!!

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    RN, I should not worry too much on this score, there are a few that only come out of the Woodwork, every now and then, they either know it all or are just plain rude, in any answer they give
    .05% out of 3.000 is just not worth worrying about.

JP

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    After being warned once by The Mouse, BA has always stayed within the posting guidleines, even if just barely. However, if one more forum member leaves because of his rude comments he is gone.

On the other hand, this is a forum, and sometimes people need to grow a thicker skin.

Larry

10. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    I think quite a few of us would prefer to grow thicker hair!
    Maybe the BA should change his handle to the Grim reaper, JB