Dumaguete Info Search

What is the name of this fruit?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Homer, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Homer

Homer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I saw these for sale at many places in the public market around Christmas time. Or maybe it was New Years. I've asked a few Filipinas I know and they have no idea.

Attached Files:

2. Lai

Lai DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tiessa is the name.

This heart-shaped, orang-yellow summer fruit is said to be one of the best sources of vitamin A. Eating tiessa is like eating boiled kamote (sweet potatoes), given its fibrous, sticky texture and thick flesh. But it has a cloying sweetness that makes one fruit too much for just one person to finish.

I've asked a few Filipinas I know and they have no idea. Reply: It's sad and it's very annoying to hear.

3. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Thanks Lai....I couldn't name it either. Always on the lookout for something exotic to grow in my backyard..but after reading this I don't think Tiessa will fit in:

Market Manila - Tiessa / Canistel - General

Very unusual fruit but users don't seem very keen. Just sprouted some Papayas so will see how they go...Good luck with the Golden Retriever!!

4. Lai

Lai DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This one is not common to the consumers.

I prefer to have Yellow Labrador now but it's going to be first come, first serve basis.

5. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Good choice if you can pull it off. Don't know any disappointed labrador owners and it would handle the heat better too! Hope it works out in that direction!

6. manaiahills

manaiahills DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes that's deffinitely the
    Tiessa or whatever and when we were on our holiday in the Pinas we went to the Nursery not far from NOPH and saw this big tree at the back of the building and there on the ground lies this kind of fruit..and nobody seems to care to collect or eat but my husband tried to taste and learnt to like it, just like eating an eggyolk heheh - well you can inquire from the nursery if you have no idea...cheers !!

7. OP
    OP
    Homer

Homer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.