Dumaguete Info Search

What small business would work in PI?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by devildog4, Jun 13, 2012.

1. devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    Was thinking of what would work with a small investment?
    1. Clean water dispensing machines?
    2. Self-serve pay laundry?
    3. Food carts?

Any other serious suggestions? Thanks!

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    A friend tried the coin operated filtered water machines a few years ago. Not sure why but it failed miserably.
    Ron

3. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Your idea of starting a business mentioned @ 1 and 3, don't know it will make much profit.

A self-serve pay laundry!!! There are quite a lot of laundry shops in and around Dumaguete City. Some shops charge as low as 15 peso for one kilo (wash, dry, fold).
    So depending on your investment for a couple of coin washing machines not including the detergent and the downy seems to me will make it very hard to offer your customers a competitive price (with which you still can make a profit) that will make them to decide to choose for your service instead of going to the traditional laundry shops.
    Just my thoughts, so think twice before starting.

4. Lee from Canada

Lee from Canada DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kareoke is big

5. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If anyone knew the answer, I'd bet they wouldn't share it here. - They'd be doing it and wouldn't want the competition.

6. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Luckely people here are not very wise and will start the same kind of business right beside the competition, with louder music and more advertisement...

7. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    How much can you afford to "lose"? And I am serious.

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Why should business ideas not be shared?

There are hundreds of internet platforms where business ideas are shared and discussed for all fields of business and all locations. Often the people with the correct and fitting answers have enough other stuff to do that they can not start it, but are willing to share.

I could imaging a cool looking food-cart on a motorbike or modified easyride offering cheap to medium priced quality fast food like good burger, real hot dogs, doener-kebab etc. could work.

higher priced than the cheap low quality local ones but quite cheaper than the foreign restaurants. covering the area Boulevard, Hayahay, universities, downtown in general from 10am to 2 pm and 6 pm to midnight. With a little bit a concept, the right promo and value, I believe it works. Won't get rich with it but might pay rent and a beer once in a while.

your problem might be all permits and proper staff will be a pain in the butt, but the latter comes down to training and ongoing supervision.

I don't wanna do it by myself, not my field of business, but would certainly be a customer.

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    We looked into a catering truck type biz years ago, (actually the plan called for a replica of a covered wagon, a "chuckwagon") we were told that it would be considered a "rolling store" and that rolling stores were not allowed in the city. When questioned why the ice cream vendors are allowed to cruise the city, they told us that they were operating illegally and they were trying to shut them down.

Larry

10. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The fruit vendors on the street next to Bethel are licensed. One of them told us they pay a city hall rep a bit everyday.

Rhoody, any actual income from side businesses is so rare and competitive in a small town like this. Anyone who is already doing something subtle, yet profitable would be crazy to start encouraging others to do the same thing.

- Unless he was selling instructional videos of course :smile:

Not to mention the various local styles of eliminating competitors.. texted death threats, black listing/deportation, and of course...extermination.