Dumaguete Info Search

Where Can I Purchase Approved Helment in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Bubba, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Bubba

Bubba DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been reading the recent posts about the enforcement of the helmet law in the Dumaguete area.
    Could someone please give me the name of a store(s) in Dumaguete that sell helmets which will pass muster (and have the required "stickers") should I get stopped at a police check point / road block. BTW, approximately how much does a helmet cost.
    Thanks again to all who took the time to reply to my enquiry about places to rent a motorcyle in Dumaguete. Very much appreciated!
    Kind regards,
    Bubba

2. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    I saw HJC Helmets from Korea at the Bike-parts Shop opposite from the new high rise Hotel on Realstreet and I believe the Yamaha Shop after the Bridge, lefthand side, Perdices-corner Santa Rosastreet, has them as well...

3. OP
    OP
    Bubba

Bubba DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you, simple mind, for the information. I appreciate your help!
    Bubba

4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    There are more than enough helmet shops in Dumaguete to choose. The bottom price I've ever seen for an approved helmet with DTI sticker was as low as 500 peso in Unitop (Gov. Perdice ST). A better quality helmet such as Spyder, Index and so on start from around 1.800 peso (half face) up till a couple of thousand for full face. In Robinson Mall is the Spyder helmet shop on the 2nd floor. The Honda dealer in town Duek Sam in Real ST also have helmets with the brand name Honda on it. Spread over the city are many motorbike spare part shops of which many that have a limited choice of helmets on stock. Very remarkable that the most common size available is L or XL. The M and S size is sometimes hard to find.

5. OP
    OP
    Bubba

Bubba DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, RR_biker! Excellent information!
    Bubba

6. highway_61

highway_61 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there is no shortage of places to get them. Motorcycle dealerships seem the best places, we were caught a bit short with only one helmet between us when the law was just coming in and there were roadblocks springing up everywhere, we just asked people around us where they were getting theirs, Filipinos being Filipinos many of them were leaving to the last minute too. We got referred to a local dealer about 1km south of Robinson's close to where we were staying, full helmet with visor and sticker was 625. The very last place you should buy a helmet is in a shopping mall.

7. OP
    OP
    Bubba

Bubba DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, highway_61
    Good advice! I will stay clear of the shopping center(s) and limit my helmet shopping to dealerships.

A bit off the topic......I have been checking the weather (online) recently for the Dumaguete area and it looks like you are getting showers / rain almost every day. Are these lengthy rains or brief, scattered showers?? My wife and I have typically visited Dumaguete / Sibulan a little later (mid March to mid April) and rain has never been a problem. Do I need to bring rainwear of some sort??

Thanks again for your advice re: shopping for a helmet.
    Bubba

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Generally just very brief showers lately.

Larry

9. OP
    OP
    Bubba

Bubba DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Larry! Glad to hear that!
    My wife and I will be in Dumaguete / Sibulan in another 10 days or so.
    I'm looking forward to seeing palm trees, banana plants, beaches and the sea! All of which trump snow, snow and more snow! (We got 25 cms (12") yesterday!!).
    Regards,
    Bubba

10. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Weather forecast is unpredictable, even in the PH (lol). But normally, what's in a name, rainfall should be less going up the months. Nevertheless a handy mini sized raincoat/poncho or what's ever will keep you dry when some rainfall got you while driving around on two wheels. Or do like the pinoy/pinays and let the passenger behind you on the buddy seat hold up an umbrella with one hand so that with the other hand editing a text message on the cellphone (really seen it, believe it or not) still an option. With a strong wind you may even experience the excitement of flying (if so, ready for take off, fasten seat belts).