Dumaguete Info Search

Where to Get Passport-Style Photos?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Kuya, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Good evening...

My fiancee Marilyn and I were going to file our visa petition this week, but I received word (from the attorney) that her passport-style photos do not meet the USCIS requirements. She had them taken somewhere in Dumaguete, and the photographer assured her he was familiar with the requirements.

Anyway, Marilyn has to have them taken again, and then mail them back over here to the U.S., which will take about 7-10 days more. I just want to make sure she finds someone who is familiar with USCIS requirements so that we don't have to do this more than once.

Does anyone know of a place in Dumaguete that will understand the proper dimensions of these photos? I know there must be many such places, but I'm a bit concerned that this particular photographer made a mistake. We were provided with a form that details all of the requirements, though I don't think Marilyn actually showed this to the photographer.

At this point any delay feels like years, and I don't want to get discouraged.

Thanks for your help.

2. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Digital Pictures

Hi Kuya,

Why dont you get her to have the pictures taken digitally and then email them to you, it is very easy to print photos these days :smile: that would save you a weeks time :smile:

3. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    passport photo

Kuya, when I had my pictures taken for my passport as well as the INS, I went to Image Bank in Dumaguete. It's close to LandBank just in case Marilyn doesn't know where it is. I didn't have a problem when it came time for me to send the pictures to the INS people.

4. OP
    OP
    Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks for the replies. Is there really a way to have them taken digitially? I just know USCIS has strict guidelines.

I found out that Marilyn had simply requested passport photos, which are a diffierent size than American passport photos. The attorney had made it clear to me that her photos MUST match the USCIS requirements, though I don't think I passed this urgency on to Marilyn and just told her she needed passport photos.

Anyway, I'll tell her about the places you have suggested and make sure she brings a printout of the needed requirements.

These delays are very difficult now, but we move onward!

5. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    INS photo

Kuya, she has to specifically tell the person that it's for a US Visa. In fact, when I had mine taken, they had posted different kinds of photos there. I think the reason why it was not the right picture was because she wasn't specific about it. Their photo is a little bit smaller than a passport-size photo. By the way, just to be on the safe side, tell her to bring the newly required INS photos. They just changed the specifications about a year ago. I'm sure that ImageBank had it updated already but just to be sure. You are right, the INS is very strict with their photo specifications.

6. OP
    OP
    Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hello Sheelah...

Marilyn went to Aldea and made sure to tell them it was for a U.S. visa. Also, she printed out the USCIS requirement form that the attorney had given to me so they could make sure the photos would be correct. She is mailing them out today, so we'll get them next week. Oh, Lord, let them be the proper size this time. My guess is that these places produce these photos quite a bit, so they are familiar with the requirements. I just think we had a problem the first time because Marilyn thought she needed passport photos.

Oh, well...we're still moving forward :D

7. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    more INS Stuff

Hi Kuya, I have one more suggestion for you to expedite the process. I did it myself a few years back when we filed for my fiancee visa. When my husband got the NOA (notice of Action) from INS, he sent me a scanned copy through email. I then printed it and went to Cebu to undergo the CFO seminar. I'm not sure if you've heard it already. Marilyn can't leave the PI without having a certificate that says she had it. Since I didn't have my visa when I took the seminar, they gave me a piece of paper in the meantime. I was told to come back to have my passport stamped after I got my visa. So, while you're both waiting for INS to process your papers, she might want to do that. It can be very stressful at times. Unlike you, we didn't hire a lawyer so it was all hands on for us. It took us approximately 6 months from the time we filed the papers to getting my visa. But just so you know, it doesn't end there. It's just the beginning of all the paperwork you need until Marilyn becomes a permanent resident or an American citizen. Going back to the CFO seminar, it was on a first come first serve basis in 2003 so she may want to call DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs) in Cebu and make some inquiries. They may have changed it since then.

8. OP
    OP
    Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thank you for sharing this with me, sheelah. I have passed it along to Marilyn. The visa petition was mailed out last Thursday, so the fun begins :smile: Now is when we both realize how big of a step this really is.

9. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Kuya, I'm sure that everything will be fine:smile: In a few weeks you'll be getting the notice of action (NOA) and it will be a step closer. Good luck to you both and I'm sure that before the year ends, Marilyn will be reunited with you. This time, it will be for the rest of your lives. Love rules!:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.