Dumaguete Info Search

Where to live in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by tipmart87, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipmart87

tipmart87 DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    We'll be arriving in a little over 3 weeks and I would be interested to know what areas people here would recommend that are worth looking at in terms of buying some land and building on.

I've been trying to find some detailed maps of Dumaguete and the surrounding area but so far have only come up with these ones

dgtmap.gif (image)

Cities and Towns near Dumaguete | MyTravelGuide.com

Go Dumaguete! Maps

I don't really want to live right in a city but neither do I want to live in the middle of no where!! I would like to be pretty close to a gym and shopping area (say no more than 20-30 mins away) and of course being near (same distance) to the beach

I've heard nice things about Valencia but where to look is a different matter

I've also read up about Bacolod and it looks nice, but it looks too far away to visit on this trip.

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful to hear them and we rent a taxi for half a day and have a look around some of the areas.

Thank you

2. OP
    OP
    tipmart87

tipmart87 DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    oh dear

114 views and no one has any ideas about Dumaguete!!!

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ok, so will be the first ...

Property and houses are similar to women. Everybody has his own taste. There are plenty of posts with different opinions on the board.

Some general advice:
    • You hire a bike and drive around a few days. (dont take a driver who most likely shows you only the lots of relatives and friends)
    • Find the area you like (not the lot)
    • spend a few hours there and investigate the neighborhood. (you don't wanna end up in a place where there is a good chance that there will be a Karaoke-Bar, resort, barking dogs, noisy chicken and Robinson's or Mc Donald's in the future)
    • visit the area in the night again and see if you feel ok and safe there
    • be aware that the time you visit is summer-time and the weather might be completely different in 4 month (for example very rough sea, or very cloudy)
    • don't invest a single cent if you are only visiting for 2 weeks a few times, try to live a few month here to see if you really want to spend your savings in the area you choose (unless money does not matter)

cheers

Rhoody

4. OP
    OP
    tipmart87

tipmart87 DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Well, firstly, money does matter, I have no intention of buying anywhere for a couple of years. This was to be purely an investigative trip, nothing else. I (we) did not want to spend all our time in the resort in Dauin and wanted to spend a day looking around the area and just wanted some ideas of where we could tell someone to take us. Neither of us know the area at all and wanted to know where we could start to look. And as you said, we did not want a local driver taking us to his 'best friends uncles place'!!

5. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    One more thing. Also check the property you have intentions of buying under heavy rain before making the choice.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    one real personal advice... never buy anything... you will never own it...
    look at your budget and rent a place... If you dont like it anymore .. move on!!! dont spend a lot of your money in a place you might not like in 5 or 10 years unless you are 60+ and your future is fairly limited in time...another 7106 Islands are just a container-load away.

cheers

Rhoody

7. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

that's a very practical and good advice for a foreighner who like to live this country Philippines.

8. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

good advice also...so try to think all this advices from the people in this forum, it's a very helpful thing if you like to live in PI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.