Dumaguete Info Search

Where Were You - Kennedy Killing

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    While reading the latest book, "The Killing of Kennedy", I could not happen but to zoom backwards and remember where I was when we heard the news - me, Okinawa. Want to share where you were?
    Note: Apologies to my friends and forum members who are fortunate to be too young or unborn at that time.

2. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128

Pat, I do know exactly where I was and how I found out, that is something we are not likely to forget. I was on liberty (day off) for the day from my U.S. Coast Guard duties. I was deer hunting in the Manistee National Forrest near Manistee Michigan. I stopped hunting and went to a little country store to get a bite to eat around 12:30 p.m.. When I went in the few people there were all huddled around a little TV set up on a shelf. Of course I said what is going on ? Then they told me JFK had been shot. The TV said all military personnel were to return immediately to their bases. We didn't know if this was the start of a war or what at that time. So I grabbed a redi-made sandwich to go and was gone on my way back to our C.G. base. I don't think they let me pay for that sandwich if I recall. Nice folks. I had marched in a parade in Washington D.C. for President Kennedy in early 1963. That was a really big deal for us youngsters still in boot camp. For sure I will never forget the day JFK was shot.
    Charlie

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I was only 4 years old and I remember very clear, in fact it is one of my first memories. I was sitting in front of our family's round tube black and white tv when the news came on. I didn't know who he was, but I knew it was someone very well known .

4. joseph domaille

joseph domaille DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i was in my veg garden in tassie, married with 3 kids under 3 year old, 2 wifes ago. would i like to marry her again NO I WOULD RATHER sh*t IN MY HAND AND CLAP
    cheers

5. Ten Twenty Lenny

Ten Twenty Lenny DI Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 3
    Working in a Rambler Dealership and when we found out about it .........everyone cried ........ I teared some

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Same for me, almost to the letter.

7. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    What I remember is we were let out of school early, my older classmates were crying and the B-52s from the base next door were scrambling. I knew what those were for so something big was going down.

8. jmoranfun123

jmoranfun123 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i.think.it.was.second'grade......my.teacher.was.crying.........

9. mikemelda

mikemelda DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was in 3rd grade, in Philadelphia,MO. A high school student named Anderson came in and told the teacher. She didn't really believe it.I was 7 yrs old at the time.I go home, mom had heard it at the store.If I remember right, that's all that was on tv all weekend.