Dumaguete Info Search

White people are expats and others are immigrants

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by DavyL200, Jul 7, 2015.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    In the lexicon of human migration there are still hierarchical words, created with the purpose of putting white people above everyone else. One of those remnants is the word “expat”.

What is an expat? And who is an expat? According to Wikipedia, “an expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person’s upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex (‘out of’) and patria (‘country, fatherland’)”.

Defined that way, you should expect that any person going to work outside of his or her country for a period of time would be an expat, regardless of his skin colour or country. But that is not the case in reality; expat is a term reserved exclusively for western white people going to work abroad.

Why are white people expats when the rest of us are immigrants? | Global Development Professionals Network | The Guardian

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Interesting....

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought an ex-pat of any color/gender was one who was living a retired, non-employed life outside their home country; and that an immigrant was anyone of any color/gender was one who was working for income in another country outside their home country.

Does not the BOI make VISA distinctions in this regard? Or are VISAs issued along "color lines" only?

nwlivewire

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe that alien and immigrant are the official terms they use.

4. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    ..........I must be an alien. Don't think I'm an immigrant. I have silver skin, big dark eyes in a big head. I can see through objects and read minds, so be careful.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    NAH! You don't scare me I have a Teenage Daughter :roflmao:

Back to the Plot, BI still seem to be amused by the word FOREIGNER, Manila us that word a lot when they change rules.

JP :bag:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Load of nonsensse. Most see an expat as someone living abroad as their residence generally retired, and NOT eligible for immigrant status. Expat is actually to many lower status then an Immigrant. An expat can never belong to the new country and have equal rights that an immigrant can attain through gaining citizenship and full rights.

So to me the article is backwards. Expat is a term to disqualify people often white from developed countries from gaining full legal status and equal rights. They get to be an expat with many cutbacks and negatives.

Generally an immigrant can become a citizen. If in the Philippines that would mean allowed to own a firearm, allowed to work, own land, own a business, and not have certain negative laws directed at foreigners used against them. An expat however gets so many potential losses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    In larger cities an expat is generally someone employed with a working visa in a foreign country. For the most part, their lifestyle equates to the upper echelon. I worked as an expat most of my career and was never considered an immigrant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dear PatO:

Where did your work take you?

nwlivewire

9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    For work, I lived in Belgium, England, Austria, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, Singapore, Philippines, and spent considerable work time in Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, China, Thailand, Malaysia, Korea, India, if I remember all of it correctly.
    While that may look exotic to some, it took its toll on marriages and long and too many flights. Nevertheless, I enjoyed traveling and working outside of the U.S. than travelling and working all around the U.S. Some regrets but not many.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    WOW!

While there are many big pluses and a few big minuses, you have indeed, experienced a world-wide range of travel and cultural immersion.

That's awesome!

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Agree Agree x 1