Dumaguete Info Search

Who Knowdafish?

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by PatO, Nov 17, 2010.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,538 / 1,016

Attached Files:

2. Bigboy

Bigboy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi...

Its "Mr Blobby"
    Fathead Sculpin fish found in New Zealand

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    A Sculpin fish ? Really ?
    Have seen that 'monster' somewhere sometime in a book I thought but can't find it (yet).
    A Sculpin according to the info on Google/Wikkepedia looks quite different.
    But you COULD be right, although I doubt.
    There are more types of Sculpin fishes but the ones I can find are all spiney, like the one on the below picture.
    This one posted by PatO looks only slimery :wink: and has been probably eaten by him as a delicious aperitive :smile:
    Any references you can give ?

Attached Files:

4. Bigboy

Bigboy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep "Mr Blobby" is a Sculpin Fish

I saw this same photo on National Geographic Website i think it was tagged as Newly Discovered Marine Creatures..

Good day...

5. jellyfish

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Nice reference you give :wink: : "I have seen it on National Geographic Website".
    I will do some research there, but prefer the 'messenger' gives details when being so sure.
    I also saw it somewhere but need to find out where and how it was called there and provide a pic or a link.
    Have till now not find any resemblance to any provided pics of a Sculpin fish.
    But again.....you could be right so we will find it somewhere I guess.

6. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,538 / 1,016
    Actually, I decided to take a picture of Mr. Ugly (blobfish) after we finished dinner in Queensland, don't like eating the head and I recommend sweet chili sauce and lots of Cascade Premium

7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,538 / 1,016
    Blobfish Pictures

Jellyfish, you can find pictures of him (or her) on the net under either ugliest fish in the world or ugliest animals in the world.

8. Bigboy

Bigboy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Bigboy

Bigboy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. jellyfish

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Thanks a lot Bigboy.
    How in heaven can such a strange creature be called a member of the same family as the Sculpin fish I did show in my post ??:confused:
    But now I am thinking about resemblances within a family ......... my yonger brother and I have only in common that we have both 2 legs, 2 arms and only 1 head. I start to understand it, I believe :wink::D

PatO, so I was only partly right with the aperitif, because I assumed you had it on your plate at Guenthers' place during your wedding.
    But I read now that the only fathead sculpin ever found was preserved in 70 percent ethyl alcohol. No wonder you took as well sweet chili sauce and lots of Cascade Premium on it. :D