Dumaguete Info Search

Why are some people racists here?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by jnk8665, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnk8665

jnk8665 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    Sirenna, et al.,
    Why is there so much hostility against the Koreans? Are you in hotel business in competition with the Koreans in Boracay? I just do not understand why you are so focused on Koreans. You add "Chinese" and "Filipinos" as to make it appear you are not targeting the Koreans, but looking at your posts, it's very clear you are fixated on Koreans. I am a Korean. I find your posts offensive.
    I don't think there are too many Koreans using this forum, so I feel bad that Koreans are getting bashed by your posts as well as by some other posters without being able to defend themselves. I just come by now and then to this forum, but after seeing so much Korean bashing to the point of being racists, I am posting this.
    You say ugly hotels belong to Korean developers. That's very very rude, calling something ugly that they worked so hard to achieve. Do you know how much money and effort it takes to build even a small hotel in a province, let alone in Boracay? Do you? Do you realize how much risk people take when constructing and operating a hotel? And to generalize that ugly hotels belong to Koreans...is just so amazingly crude and rude and uneducated, that I am at loss for words.
    You say you will post some pictures. Please do. I am attaching a few here also. They are from Korean resorts in El Nido, town similar to Boracay in that its is very small, and in danger of over development if not careful. Would you consider them ugly too because they are owned by Korean management? (I am not related in any way with these hotels, and I am not promoting them in any way.)

View attachment 1313

View attachment 1314

View attachment 1315

Further, Koreans represent the largest tourist market to Philippines. Do you think these Korean tourists lack taste also because they are Koreans? If they did, they will only be going to the "ugly" Korean hotels because their concept of "ugly" is actually "beautiful" from their perspective. Am I right? No, Sirena. They PREFER to go to the beautiful hotels. Fridays is (actually was) the number 1 hotel destination for Korean tourists to Boracay. Korean tourists has single handedly made Fridays what it is today. I believe Fridays is managed by Belgians, not Koreans. Now, Koreans are going to Boracay Tropics, the newest, most beautiful boutique hotel in Boracay. Again, it is the Koreans that will make Boracay Tropics generate profits. Same goes for Shangri-La Hotel in Boracay, and Cebu. The Hilton in Cebu, etc. So, in essence, it is the Koreans who are encouraging the development of newer, more beautiful hotels. It is not the other way around. By the way, there is a hotel in Dauin which is owned and operated by Koreans called PeopleDive. Do you think it’s ugly?

View attachment 1316

Yes, Koreans prefer beautiful hotels, because they like beautiful, and, yes, they do have artistic sense. It IS after all a culture going back thousands of years. If you really, really think Koreans just love to build ugly hotels, why don’t you go look at expedia.com and look at hotels in Korea itself? I am sure if Koreans love to build ugly hotels, the hotels in expedia will feature very ugly ones in the Republic of Korea, the place full of Koreans. Please do try.
    It is true that some Korean managed hotels in Philippines are indeed ugly. But that’s true with hotels owned and managed by other countries here in Philippines, isn’t it? I am sure you know the answer. I can also supply many sample photos of such ugly, non-Korean hotels in Philippines, and PM you if you want until your mailbox is full.
    You are living in Boracay because you like the beach of course, but also the nice restaurants like Aria and other, cosmopolitan places, right? Sirenna, these upscale establishments, with highly qualified and paid chefs from all over the world, can exist because Koreans are the bread and butter of their business.
    I guess my point is, why are you making this a racial issue? Just say you saw this and that hotel in Boracay that’s ugly. But don’t go from that to making a racist generalization that it is the Korean hotels that are ugly.
    That is rude and unjustified, Sirenna, and as an educated person, you should know better. If you don’t like the fact that there are Koreans on Boracay, then move out! Just don’t sit there and make racists rants. Thanks in advance for your kind understanding and perhaps change in attitude.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    well maybe its attrcating the wrong type of korean and yes most resorts you build are distatsetful. Big monolithic concrete monstrosities out of keeping witrh the envt. Why don't your compatriots put some thought inot their buildings/ to say they have tried hard is utter dross they have put up th cheapest structures in the quickest time. Also when Koreans dive they are very disrepcectful to the marine envt. I'm sorry i have a kporean friend
    so you are not all like this but the vast majority in the phils are out for a quick buck with no regard for anyone else or the environment.
    I'll use the example of the planned resort on lake taal as an example and red sun and korena dive park at sabang as examples of how your compatriots seem intent on detroying the Philippines
    how about the airport on caraboa?
    do i need to go on?
    I am ashamed of whjat the english have done to Spai n and much oif the mediteranean and would be first to agree with anyone who bashed us in this way and wouldn't consider it racist.
    You too should be ashamed of what your countrymen are doing to the Phils
    you also have a very bad reputation bcuase you travel around in large rowdy groups with no care for anyone but yourselves.
    the koreans are desperately disliked in the phils for these reasons
    ots on;ly becasue of the money you spend and the jobs you create that the loacls tolerate you
    I hope this is food for thought and perhaps you can help chnage your countrymens bad attitude to this beautiful country

3. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    if you think that sangri la and the hilton are examples of nice hotels the you really need to go to taste scholl
    this is exactly the sort of ugly hotels we are feferring to
    So why do koreans love concrte and not lkoacal native materials?
    name one native tasteful resort built by koreans?

4. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    It's possible to generalize about any nationality. Being an American I'm fully aware of anti-American sentiment in the Philippines. Most Filipinos are polite and/or friendly to me but on occasion I've received angry looks or outright slander from locals. I've also had the experience of being passed over in the queue in a Chinese bakery because a Chinese person was behind me.
    Racism exists everywhere.
    I could go on and on generalizing about foreigners in my own country; how they group together, how they can't drive well, how they have ugly yards, how they let their children run around in the street, how much they smoke, how loud they are, etc., but I'm not going to allow myself to go down that path. There's nothing constructive about that type of attitude and the only result is increased fear and hatred.

To put some perspective to the "ugly" hotel issue, here's a picture of Shangri-La Cebu. I'm assuming it's the large, multi-level structure that's being objected to.
    Same for the Hilton Cebu shown below the Shangri-La.

Attached Files:

5. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    yes its exactly that tim, high rise megoliths on the beach should be banned
    hilton shangrila etc are just evil
    there is maybe a need for high reises in cities but on the beach it is just downright irresponsible and greedy.
    hilton etc should be very ashamed of themselves.

6. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    I have to agree that I would be shocked to see a building like the Hilton Cebu on the beach in Boracay. Sad indeed, however, if that happens I'm not going to blame a particular nationality. The blame would lie squarely on the shoulders of the Philippine government. Only they are able to decide whether or not a structure should be built and set limits on height and materials. In a perfect world we could hope that everyone would operate with altruistic motivations, always showing the utmost concern for the environment and their fellow creatures, but that is sheer fantasy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    unfortunaatly greed rules in this woirld
    what you say about the govnt is true but also when a country is poor its irresponsible of rich investors taking advantage of this
    ie they know the rules will be bent withj big money

8. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    This is, unfortunately, completely true. Not just in the Philippines but anywhere. The only way to counter this is for enough people to continuously object for a long enough period of time to get the attention of the people in power. I appreciate that you have been a participant in objecting to wanton destruction of the environment but you may get a little farther if you tone down the racial generalizations. When comments such as "it's attracting the wrong type of Korean and yes most resorts you build are distasteful" are made you alienate the people that would otherwise join with you in combating the trend. If there are Korean developers taking advantage of the Filipino people who better to counter that than other Koreans? We need unity, not division.

9. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    I believe generalisations are like cliches they wouldn't exist if they were not true. I am not saying all koreans are like this but most in the Philippines are.
    I would have no objection to saying that most english in spain on holiday are
    ignorant drunken louts. it would not be racist just a generalisation and they are in 90 percent of cases true
    the Philippines has become the Spain for the Koreans
    I see nothinbg wroung with saying this
    hopefully this korean understands this

10. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    Come on members

What are we talking about, discrimination is everywhere all over the world, has nothing to do with Koreans.

I can give you a lot of axamples about Dutch, Germans, British, Americans and so on and so on.
    Respect the people who you meet where ever you are and what ever they do and you will get back respect.
    Look into the mirror and look into your eyes and who the hell are we to judge onother human beeing because he or she was born in another part of the world and with another collor.
    Yes and when I read Yab I am a shame that I am white.

Greetings J.Diver

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.