Dumaguete Info Search

Why do you have a domestic worker in your home?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Larry_H, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My wife has stated that we would not be hiring any workers to help with our home. Her words, "It is our home and I will take care of it"

I tend to agree with her. Doing some yardwork or repairs on our home, etc; for me, is my job. It is a good way to keep from getting too lazy as well as give me something to do when there really isn't anything else to do.

So, for those that have domestic workers in your home....why?

For those that don't...why?

And the age old question....if you are busy doing nothing, how do you know when you're done?

2. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    If you don't have someone in your home all the time, or at least a good guard dog your wife will probably find a lot less articles around the house to have to wash and dust..

3. OP
    OP
    Larry_H

Larry_H DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you don't have someone in your home all the time, or at least a good guard dog your wife will probably find a lot less articles around the house to have to wash and dust..

Andi...would that apply to apartments as well as homes? Are you including all types of residences in that statement? Would you clarify?

4. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Great Question.

It is a good question to ask. I found I had to really asked what I needed to have done and one type of helper I needed. The 24 hour helpers had a tendency to get a little two familiar with me. So I decided to eliminate that type of helper. I hated to spend most of my time to manage a helper so she would not sleep most of the day. Almost everything I asked to be done, I could do faster than it took to get them to understand what I need.

The helpers could out-cook me, and that is a negative to not having a helper if you do not have a wife, or live-in gf.

WHY I DON:T HAVE A HELPERS:

I found that when I had helpers there was lots to clean up... mostly the stuff they messed up. Eliminated the helpers and eliminate 90% of the mess. Remembers meals alonE become much bigger deal.

There are a lot less to clean up because with some helpers a lot of things that you use to own: you no longer own... they disappear.

Lack of privacy, couple with jealousy and gossip and your world reads is like the front page of Inquirer.

I had one helper that would just go into anything I owned and start using it: The results was she disable my Blackberry by putting in a Globe sim card, disabled on computer, used a few good knifes by opening cans with them. This list goes on.....

PROBLEM SOLVED

I did solve the problem by hiring a full time gardener. He is related to my landlord and almost everyone in the neighborhood so has face to save. My yard looks great, and I have him do a quick clean in the house including clean the kitchen, sweep and mop the floor. He can paint the inside and outside of the house, and he is here 6 days a week. He provides a form of security, including everyone related to him in the neighborhood watching the house, even at night my house is watched. He evens turns on all my outside lights if I am not home by 5 so the place is inviting and looks occupied. I have never lost a thing with him being involved. He lives about 100 meters away, but his relatives are my neighbors. I basically have 24 hours security with any loss of privacy.

The price is 1,500 P a week, higher than a helper but after 9 months I would gladly pay that for an honest person that really takes care of my house, and cats too, and cares about things. I give him very little direction and everything works fine. There are no meals to cook, or supply. I have a good working relationship with his family including loans etc. His family stays in my house when I am gone, so I have security, and the get the benefits of my home. It is usually fantastically cleaned when I come back to the point I almost leave town for a day or two when I need a "spring" cleanings.

He is paid well enough so that he appreciates his job, and the neighbors, almost all relatives, like me cause I take good care of him.

I would recommend hiring someone that has neighborhood "face" to save, not just "cousin" of someone you know. There is a difference.

THERE MAY BE A NEED FOR A PARTIME HELPER:

After saying all this I still find myself considering a nice young helper for part-time, from about 10 PM to 6 AM to keep my bed warm. O-|

5. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    I have a domestic worker. She is also known as my wife/asawa. Works for us.
    My wife does have a young hard working young lady come by every other week and do 2 hours of yard cleaning. That's all our help.
    We really don't even need her but the young lady (a new high school student) shows a great desire to work hard and get ahead in life so this we do more for her. Other than that we have a niece that goes to college up in Pamplona and she comes down to visit about once every 3-4 months during break. At which time the niece does a great deal of super cleaning above and beyond what my wife does daily. The niece does this because we help here with her college expenses. This works just fine for all concerned.
    Bottom line to each their own. No right or wrong helper or no helper.

6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :confused: Well now , a brilliant, double edged Question, ( Well done that man) :wink:
    ))
    If we re read all, that has been said and written here over the last year or two, about maids ect, good bad and indifferent WOW what a mixed answer thread you would have. For me, I think at times, any Domestic help( especially live in) can and seem, to become an inconvenient security system where, in the end, if all is to believed, we still have to do the cleaning ourselves, maybe the Dog Idea is a good one I have 3 and none have Mobile phones:p

:D on the other hand, if our ladies work, as mine does or visa versa, like me at home all day, I would relish the Idea of some help about the House.

However, with the present law seeming to take hold on Domestic Workers, the costs will escalate, we have decided to do as one member said, looking at it as, "OUR HOUSE and HOME" so we will do it ourselves, That way we can only blame ourselves if it is not to standard and look, at the Money and Heartache it will save.

JP

7. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Good issue raised Jackpeterson, we all know that the law will only be enforced against foreigners but i was thinking someone new to the area will surely have security issues with no one around the house/apt during the day unless someone is there or some kind of security is in place.. I know as well as you do that we have friends who have had their house's/apartments broken into even while they were home sleeping so i guess its up to the individual and the neighborhood..

8. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Don't have one, don't want one, don't need one. Yes, we have had them, but found we had to go behind a redo everything they did, if you want food you are used to, you will have to teach them how, even then it probably will never be right. We found that it felt like we always had a stranger in the house, and just couldn't relax. Plus, we just weren't used to it! Never needed one before in a much larger home, working full-time, with 5 kids, why do we need one now?! We don't....but that is just us....everyone has their own reasons, even if just to provide a job for someone. I never think badly about people who have helpers/drivers. I do think badly of those that do not treat them with respect and as the human beings they are.

9. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I've stuck with part time helpers pretty much myself IF at a time when using one. I like my place being clean and due to back issues hard for me to do much of it myself if was a time when single. If at a time when taken maybe GF's busy in school and short on time. I've found though part time helpers tend to work much harder and do a better job. Probably due to that you need XYZ done and it can take 6 hours or 2 hours and the pay is the same so they work faster and harder so no complaints so they can go.

However I can see the want by some for a live in, but mainly when have kids or a young baby (but better if a baby that its someone your wife knows and trusts). Have kids your laundry goes through the roof especially with a baby or toddler and mother is constantly changing the younguns cloths every 5 minutes it seems. Also for the times you want to go out to dinner just the 2 or something else and get a bit of a break. Maybe its taking the young kids to school and home when mom and dad isn't available.

Still even then I think I'd prefer a part time on call helper/yaya. Need something call them up and make arrangements. I just like my privacy at home and not having everything that goes on at my place gossiped to the entire barangay.

10. roadking

roadking DI Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Because I can...
    Its a personal life style choice, But as usual there are people on here, trying to tell you how to run your life for you.
    Each to there own....