Dumaguete Info Search

Why question of the day: Filipino Time

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by TheDude, Mar 6, 2014.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Why is it that that this country operates on "Filipino time" yet when I'm standing in line everyone tries to jump in ahead of me? In a hurry all of a sudden?

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Because they are running late.

3. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    We just heard on the radio/tv a day or two ago that cutting in line is now an offense with fines to be paid!

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    What? Even, if you are wearing a crash helmet and not smoking :rolleyes:

JP

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I could/can never understand how they can slowly walk down the market aisle, or stand and talk in the middle of aisle blocking everyone as if there is nothing else in the world to do, or anyone else in the world was trying to accomplish something that day and then cut in front of you when you are standing in the check out line like their bladder is about to burst.

Is it a Filipino pride thing?

6. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    take a spray bottle full of water with you when you shop, cause when it just sprinkles the slightest they run for cover

7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    So very true... it is a great day when it has sprinkled in the morning because no one is line to pay their electric bills... Of coarse the rain makes them very cold.

How long does it take to re-acclimatize your body to think that 26 C is really cold requiring a jacket?

I have been here over two years and seldom every feel cold except for the iccy chill I get when one of the older Filipino ladies gives me any cold as ice stare when I mention something about no "cutting in line."

8. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    A better question might be why do all the jackwads with little to no muffler on their motorbike feel the need to travel everywhere with their throttle pinned? I seriously doubt many of them are running late to work.

But yeah, the line jumping thing is one of life's many mysterys.

9. Hyaku

Hyaku DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 3
    Crab mentality?

10. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    You know it is actually a disgrace the amount / level of line jumping that goes on in the phils , it just doesn't happen here in aus. because there are consequences , and they can hurt . Because so many of the Filipino's are such tolerant people I believe it is a bad habit that has been left to breed with the ignorant section that just simply think it is ok , without fully realising the complete lack of respect it displays to others who were there first , I have trimmed them up a few times , but the way to stop it is for the line jumpers to thoroughly berated by all who are present , and for the coup de gras , to be not served or attended to for the service they believe that they deserve before all others.