Dumaguete Info Search

Why so Negative?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by jmoranfun123, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jmoranfun123

jmoranfun123 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In September my wife and i will be moving to Dumaguete ..she is from dauin and at the moment we both live in USA.
    A couple months ago when i found dumaguete info website,i was happy because i could see and learn how expats were doing in dumaguete.
    sINCE 2007 we have been visiting there for a week or 2 every year and i really love it. but it just seems that so many posts are very negative about living there. I guess i wish thatn i could hear more about positive things about living there.

2. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    You can file this under, "positive news".

It seems as though after Sendong, the foreigners with the most negative attitudes have left the Philippines and gone back home.

3. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    IMHO, the negativity of the majority posts I see are in the areas of public safety and sanitary conditions. I think living in any country, having life and limb jeopardized due to laws in place and not enforced with excuses that the average man/woman cannot afford to adhere to them is insane. I also don't think its asking too much that, laws be enforced with regards to public urination and the profound littering that is rampant.

4. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Totally agree...

I think the application of enforcement of laws is the most frustrating part of living here, particularly for the expat. Laws seem to enforced based on who is breaking them. Enforcement seems to be motivated by politics or money. My frustration is the knowledge of the laws is not enough, you must know if you are a "target" law breaker, or there is a need for money in the enforcer's wallet.

Enforcement of laws for public safety or well being of the envorinment or society as a whole is not a concept I have experienced here. Adhering to the laws is like driving here....it is every man for himself.

I do think it is a joke to have budgeted the new tourist campaign, as you allow the natives to urinate in the streets and wonder why everyone does not want to visit your beautiful country with urine soaked parkways. Is it really more fun to watch people urinate anywhere? The tourist campaign money could be invested in public restroom, because again the average man/woman cannot (or choses not to) afford the private restrooms/CRs.

5. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I like the explanation from the Mayors Office about the helmet laws, saying the fines are just too much for the average citizen, thats why they are not going to enforce the law.. Seems a little backward to me as if they expect the local populace to break the law and that is going to cost them money,, so basically this means we are not going to enforce it because we need the votes...

6. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I think you will find that most complaining is done by people that like to wallow in their own pi$$, too lazy to change their shorts. These same people would be doing the same complaining in their own countries but on different subjects. They have nothing to do with their time and think it is OK to insult an entire nation because of different cultural values along with the fact that this IS a third world country (developing nation). Don't get me wrong; I am not perfect and I find things to complain about also, but I try not to do it in a way that insults everybody. It is obvious that the Philippines is not the best place in the world for everybody and there are many things that might get under your skin if you live here. However, if you come here with an open mind, understanding that this IS a developing nation, without the money, and in many cases without the political will to change things; understanding that we can not expect the same luxuries that we have in our home countries; understanding that this is a different culture; then maybe you will compare the good to the bad and decide that this is the place for you. One of my friends told me, whenever he gets pi$$ed about something here, he thinks about how much freedom we have here. Personally, I try to concentrate on more tangible things like the cost of living and the fact that I am no longer shovelling snow.

I enjoy this country and the Dumaguete area in particular for many reasons and I apprectiate that I have been given the privilege of living here by the government (many foreigners think that they have the RIGHT to be here). I like the food, the weather, the people (most people), the scenery of the sea (great snorkelling and diving, nice beaches on surrounding islands) and the mountains and jungles, travelling, the Dumaguete Boulevard, Robinsons Mall, some of the nightlife, a decent selection of restaurants (if you do not expect American or Europen standards) and of course, I love my Filipina wife. I have had many wonderful experiences here over the last four years and have made some very good friends (mostly Filipino).

People love to concentrate on the "negative"; maybe human nature or maybe something that comes with being too comfortable and with too much time on our hands. I wouldn't give too much weight to most of the complaints except to recognize that many of these little problems do exist. If ask people what they don't like here, they will go on for hours; if you ask what they like, most will not even bother to answer. However, most of the complainers are not leaving even though we are all here by our own choice. The expat community continues to grow.

In response to complaints, you will often hear the statement, if you don't like it here, go home. Although this not a well thought out response to complaints, there is some truth in it. I believe, that if you do not like it here, you have a few options: you can sit around quietly, hoping that things will eventually change; you can be proactive and try to help with the changes you believe are necessary (it is possible with time and effort but may cost you some money); or thirdly, you can pack up and go to a place that does fulfill your needs within the price range you are willing to pay. By the way, if you find that Utopia at a price that I can afford, please post it here so we can all move there, haha. Sitting around complaining all day is a non-option. It will only drive you crazy and it won't help the people that get stuck listening to it either!

Sorry for spouting off. I would just feel bad if you missed out on what may be a good opportunity for you, because of what the same few complainers keep repeating. I won't make many friends with this post but I decided it was time to put in my two cents worth.

Good luck!

7. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I tell the complainers that airports work 2 ways...

8. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    With delays both ways......LOL

9. OP
    OP
    jmoranfun123

jmoranfun123 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey steve...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    SteveB's point, "the Philippines is not for everyone" is spot on. Some people come here with unrealistic expectations or haven't traveled around enough to know that it is really not that bad here, and for some of us, it is paradise.
    This is a poor country and unfortunately without sufficient funds to manage many of the areas people complain about. It is what it is.