Dumaguete Info Search

Why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Sep 21, 2022.

1. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary

Retired
    Ratings:
    +741 / 139
    As the War in Ukraine continues with the latest news of the Donbass regions planning a referendum to join the Soviet Union, my thoughts turned to how much Russia has spent to "Defend" these so called separatist areas as part of it's "Military Operation".
    When the equivalent of billions of dollars has been spent on destruction of Ukraine, why would you not spend the same amounts instead on building new cities within the Russian borderlands to accommodate those who no longer wish to be part of Ukraine.
    One estimate puts the price of this war so far at the equivalent of 212.ooo rubles per head of the Russian population.
    But how do you put a price on the loss of life, to gain what and why?.....Just my thoughts today JB

2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 1,223
    When Russia invaded I was pretty sure they would prevail in 3-4 days. Putin probably thought the Ukrainians would welcome him with open arms. The Ukrainians did fairly well on their own. With arms from NATO they have put Russia on the run.
    It's time for Putin to declare victory and go home.
    Donbas is fairly nuanced so no opinion on that one.

3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,281 / 109
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Putin's "partial mobilisation" announcement has already led to all flights for the next couple weeks out of Russia to places where Russians can still travel without needing a visa having sold out in a matter of hours after the announcement. If anyone wants to second-guess my estimate that these planes will be full of thousands of able bodied Russians fleeing from their "cannon fodder" destiny then be my guest.
    Good on those Russians though, more power to them.
    I'm thinking they don't believe Putin or his defence minister when they say the mobilisation will only apply to ........... and that all others should continue their daily lives as usual.

• Like Like x 3