Dumaguete Info Search

Wild animals in Dumaguete area

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by 2blackbelts, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Since my daughter is a staunch animal lover, we were wondering what kinds of wild animals live in the jungles, woods, and forest around Dumaguete and Zambo. She was hoping for some monkeys, but I don't think they are in this region.

Here in the States, we have squirrels, rabbits, coyote, opossums, raccoons, many deer, skunks, and foxes. Plus of course, a wide range of birds and snakes.

Thanks for the information.

2 blackbelts

2. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Try this link;

Hope this helps.

Jim

3. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    thats one sad thing about the phils, it took me years to ever see a seabird, I saw a few early one morning on my way to bohol on the ferry, but apart from that zero, if you go up to camp lookout you can hear birds but not so easy to spot, buy a good pair of binoculars. apart from that the fact that there are no animals or birds in abundance is because they have been hunted and eaten or whatever over the years so, animals tend to stay away from humans in the phils! there is no education on conservation, or appreciating wildlife. I noticed that now there is a "trend" for filipinas to prance along the boulevard with their small dogs, then they pick them up and bundle them in the 4x4! You have to check out the zoo thread here to see what goes on the in the phils. animals guard things, get eaten, or bet on, while fighting for their life.

4. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You are so wrong. There are so many different species of tropical birds in the philippines. It depends on where you are. Originally, I am from the philippines (Dumaguete). My husband and I visit the philippines once a year. We get to see all kinds of birds everytime we go back to the philippines particularly in country sides where lots of trees around. At my sisters home, we enjoy watching the three different species of birds while eating outside , the small ones called maya, tamsi (usually their plumage are brown), and some we could not identify with yellow markings on their necks. They come down from trees when my sister starts to feed the chickens and they eat corn mill and even bread crumbs. They are just beautiful to watch and to hear them chirp!

My brothers used to be in an expedition with the well-known environmentalist in one of the famous universities in Dumaguete, used to tag the different species of tropical birds all over philippines. They have seen all kinds of wild animals in jungles and rainforest in philippines. Your comments on wild animals not being abundant in phil. and are staying away from humans are not well taken, in my opinion. If there are food around they'll stay in certain place away from humans as they are wild.

I don't miss these beautiful creatures everytime we visit Dumaguete or even at places where lush
    green and trees are abundant. You mentioned seabird while in a ferry, but certainly not many phil. birds fly over the water. I also had experience in a ferry to cebu, looked up the sky hoping to glance a few of any kind, and, oh yes, saw some hovering above for food. Also, you commented that they're being hunted and eaten, again you're wrong. I've read in the local news in the Sun.Star that they imposed a new law now in phil. protecting wild and domesticated animals (big and small) from preditors (people). Don't know if it's already in effect. In america, hunters have to seek permit to hunt wild animals (like deers and certain kinds of birds) for food. Sometimes mean people in america even kill animals for enjoyment and these (people) are menace to society.

There maybe some cases of animal eating in the philippines but not all over the country.
    Dogs usually are the victims of this atrocious behaviour in humans.

5. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Olango island off Mactan is great for bird watching in the spring or fall - there is a pathetic little zoo in Zamboangita called father troupes but since his death the place is more depressing than enjoyable - a poor sea turtle in a tank too small for it and a lot of stuffed and preserved animals - 10 peso entry fee....
    the reefs have great species diversity even though they are overfished.
    the rainforests have lots of insects, some birds and a few snakes - I dont see too many mammals ....

6. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Phils (sea) birds do not fly over water??.....wierd.

The phils is an ecological disaster for both for natural recourses, and for wild life, they sort of go hand in hand. too much land clearance, and logging etc fisheries not regulated. Yes there are birds and afew animals but you have to go way out of your way to find them, animals will stay away from humand if they are getting a raw deal, even fish. migratory patterns change and all sorts goes on. this has been going on for decades, at one time phils was prime jungle and life forms were in abundance. well anyway its happening all over the world, not just phils.

7. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Philt; I did not say Phil.(sea) birds do not fly over water - I said "not many Phil.birds". If food, like live fish, etc; is abundant, then they'll be all over the water to catch a bite to eat. I agree with you too many illegal logging resulted in the extinction of wild animals and birds from their natural habitat. The wild animals don't come and mix with humans. If they have food they'll stay where they are, but if food is scarce, they'll come out to look for something to munch. In america hungry bears would come out from their hiding places to hunt for food in rural areas or even in residential areas and they ended up being killed because they attack people, live-stock and pets, racoons and opossums ramage garbage too. In as much as I love all kinds of animals, don't want to see them killed. It's a pity!

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Yes, a bit sad that there are so few birds in populated areas in the Philippines. I've got a book, A Guide to the Birds of the Philippines, Oxford Press, which tells me there are 572 known species of birds in the Philippines. 172 of those are only found in the Philippines....a few more are 'almost' uniquely Filipino species...We did some hiking around Kanlaon a couple years ago...and there were heaps of birds out there. Unfortunately, we heard about ten times more than we saw...bush was thick...but it was pretty near Australian quantity in comparision with bushwalks here. I suspect that if those with large acreage took the effort to make their properties encouraging and safe for local birdlife...they would be rewarded with a great many in their yards.

9. ana conda

ana conda DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with some posts here about Philippine wildlife facing such threat. Utter ignorance and lack of information by the majority of the poor filipino population posed such gargantuan threat to wildlife,not just now but way back in the past which the Philippine goverment is accountable for its chronic failure to
    educate and inform the whole population .Spare the small number of filipinos,mostly from the
    educated sector of society are the ones aware of these problems facing the environment and wildlife.Sadly,they are only few and far between.

10. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    No shortage of cane toads here. Does that count?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.