Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden Wild bird seed

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by ShawnM, Oct 14, 2019.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,743 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Does anyone know a place that carries wild bird seed for bird feeders?

Shawn

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Some of the agri stores sell something like it,or you can buy seeds from most petshops and mix your own.
    I tried to attract birds once but only got ants,not a single bird

3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thanks...I'll look at the agri stores when I get back. Once some of the current plants/veggies end the season we'll plant some of the mammoth sunflowers and harvest some seeds. Obviously easier to buy wild bird seed but do have a few trees now that are large enough to put a bird feeder or two in.

I've always enjoyed the early morning watching birds feeding at feeders so hopefully can attract some more than what currently come around.

Shawn

4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I think it must be something to do with not having winter here and there is always enough wild food around,i was atleast hoping to get the small doves and some finches but nothing. I was using millet and sunflower seeds. I also thought about a sugar mixture for the sunbird but decided it wont work due to the ants.

5. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I have plenty of birds at my place all the time,,, a feeder might help but I think the major problem with lack of birds around is the neighbors air rifles.. my neighbors shot everything and for several years we didn't even have any sparrows around.

6. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 92
    i find that seed eating birds will eat most any seed/grain tho they might not recognize it as food at 1st. that applies to chickens also; i've thrown cracked corn to chickens and they pass it by but the same chickens pounce on white rice. mix a little corn with the rice and eventually, they will discover that corn is food too.

my favorite way to attract birds is to put a bird bath in a shady spot surrounded by shrubbery they can hide in.

7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    Or wear something tight.

8. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Mostly we just see sparrows around the yard and it would be nice to attract some more colorful birds. We are actually making quite a number of changes around the yard with one of the goals to attract more birds, butterflies and other pollinators.

One of the tasks is to still give the dogs areas to run around but fencing off other areas of the yard to concentrate on colorful plants/flowers. As well as having a couple areas for growing veggies. Really want a diverse selection of plants for different "areas" of the yard. A bird bath or two will definitely be in the plans as well as a smallish koi pond.

Its an ongoing process to change the yard around but am pleased with our plans and early progress. I'll share some pics in the upcoming months as things get further along.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019