Dumaguete Info Search

Window Bars safety

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by reedee, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    I read with sadness of the preventable deaths of the 4 sisters who had become trapped in their house as it burned, unable to escape because the windows were covered with steel bars. I understand that people install the bars to prevent break-ins, but they need to think about what will happen if a fire occurs, how will they get out? When I had bars installed over the windows of my home, we had bars that swung open like doors and had locks with keys. We placed the keys near to the windows (but not near enough one could reach in from outside and get them). I would highly encourage anyone considering bars to make sure they get the hinged bars with locks.

2. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    I can understand the bars being placed there to prevent thieves from getting in, but I don't understand why they have to make the bars like bars in jail which are permanent and the only way of escape is the door. There had been several instances of fires in hotels with bars like these and people getting killed or trapped. I hope people who build houses or buildings will know better.

3. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    Steelbars at windows are a must in this country.
    But much can be done about spreading the fire if it happen.
    If a house is constructed in plywood you better don't have this stealbars.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / -0
    Personally I don't agree with this statement of being a MUST in this country.
    I don't deny that there are risks and that you reduce the risk of a robbery but it is imho much more decisive in what area you live (in this country or any country !) and if you have some good dogs and e.g. allways have someone (guard, maid, ...) in the house.
    And don't underestimate the value of good neighbours, even when they won't be there all the time.

5. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    window bars

I agree with Jellyfish.....I think you just have to evaluate where you live, but certainly, if one feels safer, go ahead and get them, but make sure they are accessible in case of fire!!

6. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    Being a retired firefighter I would not even consider having bars on my windows. Never understood people who escape to "paradise"and then surround themselves with a wall and put bars on the windows. Always figured the State would provide that free if they catch up with you.

7. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Thanks Ms Redee for the info. Window bars are important of securing themselves from kawatan or thief. But they forgot to put exits also on them which is more important during emergencies.

Better also have fire extenguisher in your home.

8. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    When i say this is a must in this country than i mean it is a must in all tropical country's where people keep open windows to get cool air.
    As long it is allowed for boarding- and pensionhouses to make walls and sealings of plywood there will always be dramatic casualty's in fires with or without steelbars because many of these rooms even don't have windows.
    Fireprevention without corruption is even a bigger must.

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +37 / -0
    How about education, like in that case ...

DON'T FU...ING SLEEP WITH OPEN FIRE IN YOUR HOUSE.

10. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    Due to many brownouts 99 % of the population use open fire for cooking.
    Or it is wood or gasul, it is always an open fire, and the kitchen is a place where many fires start.
    Education, corruption, this country has a long way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.