Dumaguete Info Search

Windshield tint film

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Cletus, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    My car has tinted windshield that I cannot see very well at night. Also the front windows are tinted so dark that seeing at night is almost impossible without rolling the windows down.

Where can I get these replaced with a lighter tint and totally remove from windshield?

C

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Most any glass shop does tinting, but it's not cheap. An option you may consider is taking a razor blade and cutting sections out of the tint so you can see.

Larry

3. OP
    OP
    Cletus

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Thanks Larry!

4. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    If it’s a nice car I wouldn’t go near the glass with a blade, there is a special solvent and heat gun to remove it; I have seen the results of removing or modifying with a blade

5. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    if you are good with a blade its not a problem, best to leave the windshield always untinted and if you want some privacy then do a non (limo) tint on the back window and doors. Had many vehicles done at Robert's Tires Plus in Banilad, always happy with price and quality of work....

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The key to using the blade is to keep the window wet with their "special solvent" (aka, soapy water). Use rubbing alcohol if the glue is really tough to get off, scrape quickly and lightly.

To the OP:

If you have a fabric steamer it will work great to heat up the glue to make peeling the tint off easier (if you don't do this it will not come off in one peace, you would think you wouldn't care....but you will). Start in a corner and work your way across the windshield. Be prepared, as that glue they use in the Philippines stinks. I mean, really stinks!

Getting the glue off after you have removed the tint is the hardest part. Soapy water or rubbing alcohol will get the job done with a box cutter type blade. I removed the tint on my car, took me about 10 minutes....gave 200 pesos to the helper to clean the glue residue when I was finished. It really does not smell good at all.

Edit: If you are going to use a box cutter blade make sure it is new. If it's all hacked and nicked up it well screw up your windows.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
  8. OP
    OP
    Cletus

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Thanks everyone, I cut out part of it with a scraper, (new). It worked pretty good. The tinting came off in stripes. I cut it into4-6 inch strips and peeled it off with some glue residue which I sprayed with cleaner and scrapped with razor. The hardest part was to get wifey to follow my instructions!