Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Wine tasting and/or suggestions

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by AlwaysRt, Jun 9, 2016.

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not big on wine but need a couple bottles for a wedding and would prefer it tastes ok. Is there a place I can taste the wines available in Hypermart or Robinsons without resorting to buying an assortment of bottles? I would do that if I drank it regularly but these may be the only 2 bottles I buy this year.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I can suggest some for you. Yellow Tail Cabernet Sauvignon from Australia. About 450p a bottle at Hypermart, Robinson's and Times. Pretty consistent. If you prefer white buy the same brand Chardonnay. A safe buy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wine preference is very subjective. I don't know of anywhere that will let you try it before you buy it. Price really doesn't mean much of anything when it comes to wine IMO. I've had a P200 bottle taste much better than a P1,200 one......but the only thing I really look at is the alcohol content as I prefer wines closer to the 15-16% mark.

4. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I agree, and reading labels doesn't help either. There was a time when I would have enjoyed buying several bottles to sample but that time is past as it is not efficient for a one off purchase. Is there any restaurants that have the p200 - p450 (at the store) wines on the menu so we could try a few different glasses so we know what bottles to purchase?

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Restaurants here typically only have one cheap red and one cheap white buy the glass. Most restaurants will nearly double their wine by the bottle charge compared to what you would pay in the store. Once opened a bottle of wine will only be good for a day or two. Being you are a former Marine I will invite you to my house to try the Yellow Tail, if you would like.

6. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Yup, agree, agree, agree. Getting a reasonable bottle of the falling down juice is nigh on impossible in Dumaguete. PatO has a reasonable suggestion regarding Yellow Tail Reds...but I hate Chardonnay, preferring a drier, unoaked White...like a Sauvignon Blanc. Down to preference like Wrye says.

Just a thought, why not pop into a foreign owned resort? For instance Thalatta is French owned (well he's a Breton, a Celt, go ask him. Lol we get on like a house on fire, viz: "I'm not French. I am a Breton, a Celt.", cue much jabbering about Lobsters etc). Anyway, he sources French wines as he caters for French guests. Nothing wrong in asking if he could order some botteles pour vous. Bound to be a peso or two in it for him, but worth a punt.

I've found a couple of Spanish tapas joints in Manila with Bodegas attached. They will ship. Pm me as that will get me off my @ss right then to send you the links. Probably cost you a bomb, but worthwhile. Wasn't there a dude that joined recently interested in wine tasting?

Sheesh, just read the original post, you want a couple of bottles....lol, downstairs in Lee Plaza will do. Anything with a Aussie or European label will do. Sorry for getting carried away. Back to my dreams of a crispy NZ Sauv Blanc 2015, South Island....

Cheers,

C

7. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Was at Lee Plaza yesterday and the only label I recognized was Yellow Tail (I have had their Merlot) but only saw the Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz is why I made the thread. Sounds like it will be easiest to stick with the Yellow Tail label, any idea who carries the widest selection? I might even go for one of the bubbly options since it is for a wedding.

Yes, I carry great pride and importance in the distinction of being a former Marine vs an ex-whatever (insert branch)

8. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    A rather nice red wine and not expensive (270 peso a bottle of 750ml) is Terranoble (Cabernet Suavignon, Merlot, Camenere). Available @Sofia's Wine & Spirits, Hibbard Ave, Tugas, Piapi in Dumaguete. Also the house wine of PastaKing. When you wish to spend a bit more the afore mentioned wine also comes in the Reserva quality for 575 peso a bottle. Though as said before referring to a wine is a matter of personal taste of course.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35
    My tenant who is leaving in 4 days has couple of good australian wines to go such as; lindemans,penfolds rosin,banrock and nederburg.. if you're interested just PM me and i'll give you his contact details. Price range 300-400 pesos/btl at cost.

Edited by a moderator to put post outside Quoted post

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    And all very good wines at a reasonable price,not seen them in any of the shops.