Dumaguete Info Search

Wonderful Place

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by taweelah, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taweelah

taweelah One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello guys,:smile:

I joined recently after visiting Dumaguete last month and love the place instantly. Even my wife wanted to live there, in fact she'll be going back in two weeks time to buy the residential lot we visited before leaving. In the meantime Im back to work here in the middle east, you know to earn more to realize my wife's dream of a new house in Dumaguete.:D

Dumaguete, I shall return!!! But I have to wait until December.:eek:
    Anyway, I made a list of places I need to visit next time..

2. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Taweelah, welcome on the forum.
    I hope you are making a good choise with your residential lot.
    Be sure all is arranged well and don't let you(r wife) get into problems. Take the time to check if all is OK. Succes and till December for you.

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :wink: Welcome Taweelah, If anyone can help! It is the likes of jellyfish, any doubts just Ask!:p

Jack P.:smile:

4. ezfeelin

ezfeelin DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking forward to visiting dumaguete

Hello everyone.
    I have been coming to the philippines for the past two years, but living in angeles city only, and have visited a few places like cebu and puerto galera.

Still looking around for a permanent place to retire in, being 58 years old, all my life in san francisco, california, though being of asian background (bangladesh).

A neighbor has moved to dumaguette from angeles city and has nothing but great things to say about it. so next tripis an exploratory visit sometime end of this month or early next month. From the internet it sounds like paradise out there.

How many days do you think a person would need to stay in negros oriental to get a fair idea of the place if looking at it as a permanent home?

Interesting reading here, and looking forward to actually being there.

best regards to all.

ezfeelin

5. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    It seems you have already heard from some people and also on this forum a lot about our place.
    Well that makes it of course easier to make a decission compared to when you were not preinformed.
    But still I believe you need to smell it for at least a week or two, driving around the area, talking a lot with locals and foreigners to make up you final decission.
    Take the time because there is no need I hope to hurry in such an important matter as moving to another location.
    Try the different shops, restaurants, bars, surrounding places for making a daytrip, make several dives (otherwise go snorkeling) etc....
    Welcome and a lot of succes.

6. ezfeelin

ezfeelin DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks

thanks jellyfish for the advice.

i hope to come and stay for around two weeks, maybe rent a motorcycle and just kind of cruise around to get to know the place a bit.

any recommendations on a place to stay for two weeks close to the "boulevard" apparently the place to be in the evenings.

If first visit is interesting, i plan on coming around a few times more before committing to renting a house or apt. i do keep an apt in angeles city for the past two years, but the town's emphasis on the nightlife, bars etc is a bit more than i wish to face if retiring there. of course getting to know people who are into other things besides just the nightlife would be an attraction too. being single, of course, also nice to meet the local people.

again, thanks
    ezfeelin

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Bethel Guest House.

:o I feel like and old record here, The Bethel is right on the Boulevard and has just about everything you will need for your Stay. Even if if it is only for a few days until you find your feet. There are cheaper Places and no doubt you will come across them. have a good trip. :wink:

Jack P.:smile:

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    it is a old record, as in the last 5 years Bethel got overtaken in terms of just everything likecomfort, service, food, beds by at least 4 hotels downtown.

9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :wink: I will leave to you to recommend one then, I can only recommend what I know.:smile:

Jack P.

10. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    [QUOTE

any recommendations on a place to stay for two weeks close to the "boulevard" apparently the place to be in the evenings.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of affordable and acceptable hotels to stay in all with easy access to the boulevard, and although the Bethel would not be on my choice list, it's a matter of personal preference.
    The Palwa Hotel is fairly central, with a decent restaurant and free wifi.

The Hotel Nicanor is very close to the boulevard. It is fairly new, with exceptionally comfortable rooms, lift to all floors, and free wired internet connection in all rooms. It's only drawback is there is no restaurant in the hotel, but it is close to plenty of eateries.

Obdulias Business Inn is another one worth checking out.

My personal favourite is the Coco Grande on Hibberd Avenue. A short walk along the side of Silliman University and you are at the port end of the boulevard. The hotel is peaceful, rooms are spacious, free wifi, restaurant, piano bar etc.

There are plenty of other pensions and beach resorts, but you did say that you wanted to be near to the boulevard. Browse through the hotel section on this Forum, or check out the hotels by name if they have a web site.

It's just a matter of personal preference and choice.

Wherever you choose, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Roger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.