Dumaguete Info Search

Word of caution on pets you may have...

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by onlymichael, Jan 31, 2013.

1. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    A word of caution to those who do not live in fenced houses, guarded subdivisions, etc. without good security. Especially if you are near bad areas like squatter areas. We have had two pets stolen and/or killed and a neighbor's dog we think was kicked. Filipinos don't seem to think animals are God's creatujres they seem to think little of running them over also (not all of them but many are this way). We have tried our best to make friends among the locals but there is always a bad apple or two in the bunch. I know now why so many want to live in guarded subdivisions. I also know now why in the old western movies, Indians were often referred to as "savages" to be exterminated. I am posting this in order to alert anyone who is not aware of this problem and wants or has pets. 9To those who think animals are objects to be treated same as a piece of furniture, don't bother to try to bait me, I won't reply to flames as the purpose of this post is only to warn others.)

2. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated"

Mahatma Gandhi

3. OP
    OP
    onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    thanks for the great quote..

had no idea Gandhi held that belief.

4. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Yup he did. By that standard India *still* has very little greatness nor moral progress. Neither does most of the rest of Asia, our East Asia in particular. One of the things that's hard to get used-to living over here... 14 years ago in Korea a neighbor trapped our little dog and BBQed / ate it (in outdoor Soju party with friends) while we were away a few days. But he was not an ignorant "savage", he was an Elementary School Principal. Gotta be careful to not let your anger drive you to racist stereotyping as was done to America's native peoples...

5. bobby01

bobby01 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bbc

hi ,im bobby im new here ,
    so what you did after you find out ???:smile:

6. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    By Korean country side standards, there was nothing i could do without becoming a criminal myself.
    So i chalked it up to 'Asian experience' and moved-on.
    We only lived in that mtn-village for a year, anyway...

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Onlymichael: I punt/kill dogs as well. I have a neighbor who regularly let's his guard dogs outside, they used to nip at my feet when I drove by. After a couple steel toes to the head they no longer nip at my feet. I also punt dogs who run out in the road to keep from running over them and having an accident (which also saves the dog's life; a boot to the head is better than a tire to the spine). I punt/kill dogs who are barking at me and get too close, especially if I am on my property or in a public place. In this country it is very unlikely that the dogs have had all their shots, and it's even more unlikely that the owner (if you could even find one) would pay any hospital bills for a bite. If you have an aggressive/nippy/yappy dog and let it outside you can't expect anything less. It's a good thing my neighbors dogs don't yap all night or there would be a magic sarap loaded steak for them.

8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Haha, I think you could replace "dogs" with "foreigners" in this post as well.

9. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Dog laws, see REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9482 : PHILIPPINE LAWS, STATUTES AND CODES : CHAN ROBLES VIRTUAL LAW LIBRARY
    More people need to read this law.
    Run copies of it for your neighbors. Post it where you can in your sub or area.
    Report loose dogs to the Government City Veterinary Office I beleive.
    Some pretty hefty fines for loose dogs.
    Of course having a law and enforcing it are apparently two different things.

10. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    This is what's printed on my dog license issued from the Dumaguete city vet.

BE A RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER

RA 9482 or Anti Rabies Act of 2007 and Dumaguete City Ordinance No.21 mandates that owning a pets is a responsibility and pet owners are required to:
    a. Have their dog submitted for regular/annual vaccination against rabies.
    b. Submit dogs for mandatory registration and licensing.
    c. Not allowing dog to roam the streets or any public places without leash.
    d. Provide dog with adequate care, food , clean shelter.
    e. Report to concerned government authority biting incidents/submits dog for observation as
    Needed and shoulder medical expenses incurred relative to victims injuries.

Office of City Veterinarian – 422-8128
    City Health Office – 422-8115

PENALTIES
    a. P2,000.00 fine for refusal to have their dog registered and vaccinated against rabies
    b. P10,000.00 fine for refusal to have their dog observed after having bitten and individual.
    c. P25,000.00 fine for refusal to have dog observed and shoulder medical expense of bite victim.
    d. P500.00 fine per incident that owner refuse to put leash on dog when brought outside the house or deliberately let dig become stray.