Dumaguete Info Search

Work Visa Working permit and BalikBayan

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by robinkath, Jan 7, 2017.

1. robinkath

robinkath DI New Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi everyone, wow lots of info on this site! My question is can I work alongside my wife on a Balik Bayan stamp ? I understand there is an alien employment permit, but the form seems to relate only to employed work . What or who do i need to inform in order to help run our joint business venture.
    My wife is Philippina and has lived in blighty for 12 years. She will apply for her joint citizenship later in the year. We are planning a move later in the year to Negros Oriental and will need to start a business as soon as possible (along the coffee shop/bar/restaurant/cafe kind of line).

2. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Balikbayan is clearly no working visa. If you are married to a filipina you can get the 13a visa which allows to work in the philippines.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    robinkath

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ok , so yes I am aware it is not a working visa . Are you saying the quickest and easiest way would be to go for the 13a visa before we move to the Philippines? Or is there a work permit I can avail?

4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    There is no quick way of getting a 13a visa! One year probation first then go through the whole process again a year later.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    I really don't like Bursting Bubbles and apologize Davy for this but...... a 13a Obtained outside the Philippines is Permanent from day one :nailbiting:
    To the OP, a Work permit goes with a Job a 9g visa is just this. Basically the visa belongs to the company that is hiring you. Should you leave that job you revert back to a 9a tourist
    Your prospective Employer applies for the Visa (You just pay for it)
    There are ways to get to work but there is no Visa that you can just carry around to show at an interview.
    :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    robinkath

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So applying for a 13a and having it in place before we move seems to be the best option.
    However I'm still a little confused as to how I would go about working in my own business on a balikbayan ? Am I right in saying that if we register the business with the Securities and Exchange Commission and/or register with the Department of Trade and Industry. I believe the former is for a partnership ? Therefore would I need a work permit ?
    Thanks Jack ... we intend to

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Legally speaking, you don't.

A 13a is a permanent resident visa, meaning you can work if you have one.

The Balikbayan visa is NOT a permanent resident visa. Meaning you can not "legally" work with it. Catch my drift? :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    robinkath

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK Enough Said

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Working permit and BalikBayan is the Thread Title.
    So is it any wonder people will answer with this in mind, However no insult taken by me but
    at least it is a question you now have an answer to before you ask it EH?:wink:

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I had a work permit my my employer got for me back in 2007. It was a lot of effort to get it. I remember it had to be shown a local could not perform that job, I had to submit my college transcripts, and it took a lot of time.