Dumaguete Info Search

Worlds worst place to drive. "Cebu"

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Sep 15, 2016.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Think Metro Manila’s traffic is the worst? Wait till you get to drive around Cebu City, rated in a recent study as the “worst place in the world to be a driver.”

The Queen City of the South trailed 185 other major cities in transport app Waze’s second Driver Satisfaction Index, which analyzed the driving experience of millions of its users in 38 countries.

Published in the app’s blog on Tuesday, the study took into consideration traffic density and severity, quality of roads and infrastructure, road safety, driver services, social economics, and “wazeyness” or the “happiness and helpfulness of the Waze community.”

The study, which focused on countries and cities with more than 20,000 active Waze users monthly “to ensure data accuracy and fair market comparison,” used a single numeric score from 1 (miserable) to 10 (satisfying).

With a driver satisfaction index of 1.15, Cebu was “ranked as the least satisfying, or the worst place in the world to be a driver,” Waze said in its study. Cebu, which wasn’t ranked in last year’s study, was followed in the list by Bogor, Indonesia; San Salvador, El Salvador; and Denpasar and Bandung
    Read more: Cebu voted world’s worst place to be a driver

• Not funny. Not funny. x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I personally think driving through Metro Manila or Cebu is equally as frustrating/miserable. That's just my "perception" though....much the same as some of the information used in that "study". I'd love to see a study done by Google using their Google maps app. I'm sure there would be much more data to study than from that of an app that most (I'm assuming) have never heard of before.

3. Mikala

Mikala DI Member Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Nuclear Engineer
    Ratings:
    +144 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I used Waze extensively whilst working in UAE earlier this year. It's much more accurate and helpful than Google Maps (there). Whilst driving in cebu for a week last month (using Waze), I certainly found it appallingly bad, but still nowhere near as bad as Manila. I usually use Google Maps in the USA, Japan and Korea though and it works well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    I drive in and around Cebu city a couple of times but to say traffic there is the worst of the whole world; I strongly disagree.
    Of course it's purely my personal perception. A city like for instance Jakarta or any metropolis in the south of Europe is much more dangerous. That said as being a citizen of the most satisfying country in the world for traffic the second time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    I agree with RR_biker here in the mention of Jakarta. My last visit was about 4 years ago, it took 3 hours just to get to the opposite side of the same road then another hour to travel that road another 2km. It was 3.30 am when I left my hotel (on the golden triangle if anyone knows Jakarta). There were no accidents or roadworks that we passed though further up our side of the road and opposite I don't know. My appointment was at 8.30am and my leaving time was suggested by the concierge. The second day I walked at 6.30am for the next appointment at the same place (each time). Big mistake, I could have rung out each piece of clothing - but boy was I early. Third day, I crossed the road by footbrodge and just walked up to a cab "parked in the street" to go the 2km (total time 1.5 hours). This was the centre of town so I can't speak of the suburbs

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    I was thinking of going to Jakarta on holiday. Never mind I'll pass on that one.
    The worst/terrifying driving I have experienced was in Damam, Saudi Arabia. Driving on the freeway around town at 180+ kph people would pass me on the left and right. If I was not paying attention and was in the fast lane they would pass between me and the guardrail.
    The locals were a nasty bunch. On a two lane road, never follow a local as he overtakes a truck. They will pull up just in front of the truck and wait there until an oncoming vehicle is close and then pull into the correct lane leaving you to become splattered on the grill of a transport truck. Those boys have a strange sense of humour.

• Informative Informative x 1