Dumaguete Info Search

Young Ukrainian Expat Robbed in Valencia

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    It is hard to say but I do not feel sorry with someone not locking their doors in their apartments.
    It is clear to lock the doors (if possible) every time you go out or stay in the apartment for safety reasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Nice haul they got there.

I have been downsizing myself. My strategy for doing that is to not replace things which get stolen. I figure I'll be fitting in much better when people stop showing an interest in the sh*t I'm carrying around.

That includes no cell phone, which I don't miss at all. My laptop does everything I need. If I'm not doing something productive (like posting to DI of course) with a screen then I don't need to be staring at one. These things are soul sucking, evil devices.

There was another thread from Headz Up which mentioned a call center employee getting robbed and stabbed at 1:30 AM. You should post that one also.

4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Does find my iPhone work in the Philippines?

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Farewell.

I have been under a bit of stress lately and I have been getting to be more of an *sshole in general. I figured it's a good time to kill off some of my social accounts. For this one, I changed my email address to a temp and changed the password to something I don't have saved. I can't retrieve the account.

I have been here a while. The first DI meeting I went to was at Dave's Private Garden. The first time I met Rhoody was in the CR at WhyNot. I looked over and there he was, taking a p*ss in the next urinal over.

Thanks all.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe that works by a combination of internet connection, tower connection and GPS. The phone will need an internet connection to report the location to a server. If the phone is turned off and/or doesn't have an internet connection there is no way it can let anyone know where it is at.

GPS works everywhere in the world, thanks to good ol' Uncle Sam letting the world use their satellites completely free of charge. As long as the US government doesn't pull those permissions from the world - which they can do and probably would do in a major world conflict to screw over any country stupid enough to develop military equipment based off of US military technology (currently only the US government has a GPS satellite system that covers the entire world) - then your phone will be able to find it's location using it.

The find my iphone app likely also uses tower triangulation to make the GPS location more accurate. 3 or more towers would need to be in range to locate a phone without GPS.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Farewell??? So who is now going to remind me where I am! :smile:

You may not get to read this 'Mr Dude' but if you have stress then keep connected to people ... like most here I am a good listener. I recently helped someone with a particular stress-related anxiety issue (using my own research and experiences) and would not be at all hesitant to pass on any knowledge I have to help others. The human brain has the capacity to 'talk to itself' and any sufferer just has to keep trying; it is not as easy as fixing a broken arm, but it can be done.

8. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You might want to lookup current information about GLONASS, most modern smartphones are equipped to not only connect to GPS satellites but also with to the Russian version, which has achieved global coverage some time ago.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I just read an article the other day about it and don't recall that being mentioned. Good information though.