Dumaguete Info Search

your advice is needed!

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by urhainess09, Aug 4, 2009.

1. urhainess09

urhainess09 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hej to all the members of dumaguete city forum. I am just new here in this site, and im glad ive found it. I would like to ask any advice from you guys regarding moving to dumaguete city. Especially those who have lived here for quite long time already. Actually, i have no idea of the place nor have been there yet. But as far as i have heard about this place, it is calm, clean and peaceful. Feel free to share me your experience, advices whether its bad or good.. Thanks in advance!! Mabuhay..:smile:

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    welcome to DI

great to have you here. There are plenty of threads on Dumaguete City - Negros Oriental - Apo Island - Siquijor - Philippines - Dumaguete and some general advices in our content (main) page Expats and the Filipino Culture - Philippines and the whole DI contentpage about what to do and where to go.

Duma is a fantastic place to be and to leave. It depends what you are looking for, how your health status is, what recreational activities you prefer and many other factors.

I fyou don't find answers in the many other posts, just get a bit more specific and you will get a lot of options and opinions

Again welcome to DI and

cheers

Rhoody

3. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    The first advice would be to go there and see for yourself. The second advice would be to visit other destination in the Philippines also, to see which one you prefer.

Like Rhoody says, it really depends on what you like. Some people will find, that Dumaguete is to small and rural a place for their taste, and for others it might be to big, crowded and poluted already.

I had a friend living in Cebu, and he really liked Dumaguete because he enjoyed being able to walk around the city instead of always using car, taxi or jeepney to get around. But he wouldn`t want to live in Dumaguete, as he would probably get bored very quickly from the fact, that there is only a few places to choose from, if you want to go out.

And he is right. If you want to live in a real city, where you don´t have to go to the same places all the time, Dumaguete is to small. But on the other hand it has a charm, that bigger citys like Cebu doesn`t have.

But if you compare Dumaguete to a similar sized city on Mindanao, then it is very developed already. Partly because the local population is less poor, partly because there is a large community of foreigners living in Dumaguete. But on the other hand prices are also a bit higher and there is less wild nature in Negros than in Mindanao, Samar or Palawan.

Some might also prefer the quietness and peacefullness of a smaller island like Bohol, and so we can go on and on and on....

4. OP
    OP
    urhainess09

urhainess09 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks very well said. i am more particular of the safety and tranquility of the place. Its fine with me if it only has less place to choose from.

5. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    You can always

You can always come look here in Mindanao. I live near Gingoog city I have been very happy here it is nice and safe.. very rustic:D we don't have a shopping mall or even a McDonalds we don't even have a bar.. I just love...But I have noticed a lot of foreigners as of late. Lots of nice girls looking for husbands. Great place if you are looking for a quiet life..

6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Deal breaker