Dumaguete Info Search

A sudden pang of nostalgia!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Jack Peterson, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    :headphone:I put this here as the Photo Board seemed not to be the Place as it is not about the PI particularly

:oldman: When we get Older, things that are very Distant just jump up and give you a pang of nostalgia.
    I was answering a friend of mines statement on something and Found out that PAL still have a Mc Donnell Douglas Dakota DC3 Airworthy. KLM built their Reputation on these Aircraft as many young Airlines Did. Brits will Remember DAN AIR, US members will remember UNITED, DELTA + a couple More, Ozzies will Remember the early days of Quantas. Canadians will remember Ward Air.
    All using the DC3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was particularly proud in my early days in the R.A.F to have flown a similar Aircraft that my Father did in India During WWII

Although 40+ years ago when I did, it is gratifying that this safe reliable Aircraft is still a Work horse of many Air forces today. this one is R.A.F
    [​IMG]

Of course the DC6 is Modelled on the DC3 so one can see the Success of the Aircraft

[​IMG]

Sorry if my nostalgia is not everyone's Cup of Tea but that's me

JP:bag:

• Like Like x 6
  2. TANJAY CITY ROCKS ON TUBE

TANJAY CITY ROCKS ON TUBE DI Member ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer

Hospitality Industry
    Ratings:
    +122 / 31
    Love the DC3's Jack. One of the greatest work hoarse's of our times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Saw them at an air-show last year Jack (Southport) Lancashire. :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +752 / 109
    Nothing wrong with to fresh up your nostalgic memory and share it with others. Those were the days after all, I just like it.

5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Where I used to live in the uk our local airport had the biggest service center for the dc3 in the eu and often saw them flying around testing them, a great sight and you always knew by the sound of the engines.
    Also along with the Battle of Britain flight, there is no mistaking the sound of 12 cylinder rolls Royce engines.
    There are only two Lancaster bombers left now flying,one in Canada and one in the uk, last year they flew the canadian lanc to the uk to join the Battle of Britain flight along with the spitfire and hurricane, must have been an awsome sight and sound.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    In 1983 on my return from the Falklands ( and I say this not to Brag) I was awarded a DSO, My Prize apart from that was to Sit as Navigator on a memorial Flight for Remembrance Sunday that year, The Lancaster was a 4 engined Job with 4 Rolls Merlin engines .

[​IMG]

WOW, :eek: How did these guys cope all those years ago, My Good ness, My Aircraft was like sitting in your Front Room, Obviously designed by a Woman The Hurricane and Spitfire the back bone of the Fighters had the Single 12 cyl (in line Merlin)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my 27 years R.A.F Service saw me in many Aircraft but that day was one of the most memorable I ever had.

Hmmmmmmmmmm at 6 ft and 12 stone I wonder now how I ever fitted in the seat for the 1.5 hour sorty My hat goes off to those guys that were up there for 5/6 hours at a time, sometimes longer There is not a lot of room in that Cockpit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

AH those were the days, Nostalgia at it's best.:wink:

JP :bag:

• Like Like x 2