Dumaguete Info Search

Acronyms

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by NowandThen, Oct 12, 2023.

1. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I've been to the Philippines for a long time, and I'm still amazed at how Filipinos use acronyms. It's like a foreign language, and it would be best if there was a Rosetta Stone for it. Here are a few examples: BIFF - Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, IACAT - Independent Commission Against Corruption, PUV - Public Utility Vehicle, DPWH - Department of Public Works and Highways, PWWA - Philippine Water Works Authority, NLEX - North Luzon Expressway, PDEA - Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, FDA - Food and Drug Administration, PSA - Philippine Statistics Authority, FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization, LPA - Low-Pressure Area, BARMM - Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, DPWH - Department of Public Works and Highways, DQ - Disqualification, LTFRB - Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board, ROTC - Reserve Officers' Training Corps, COA - Commission on Audit, PNP - Philippine National Police, NPC - National Power Corporation, TNVS - Transport Network Vehicle Services, PAR - Performance Assessment Rating, MOOE - Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses, EPR - Environmental Performance Report, OVP - Office of the Vice President, DFA - Department of Foreign Affairs, DA - Department of Agriculture, QCPD - Quezon City Police District, DOJ - Department of Justice, SK - Sangguniang Kabataan, MIAA - Manila International Airport Authority, DBM - Department of Budget and Management, SWS - Social Weather Stations, TNT - Total Network Solutions, EASL - East Asian Super League, EAC - Economic Affairs Council, AFP - Armed Forces of the Philippines, DENR - Department of Environment and Natural Resources, USANA - United Seniors Association of the Philippines, BSP - Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, NCAA - National Collegiate Athletic Association, BSP - Business Process Services... Should I continue? No, I think that's enough for today :smile:

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,023 / 1,093
    Still insignificant compared to the USA https://ucsd.libguides.com/govspeak

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    NowandThen

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    That’s right. The Filipinos have learned a lot from the Americans. Unfortunately, there are a few things they would have preferred to leave out. Such as fast food, among other things. Acronyms was not the best idea either. At least not in those numbers

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,141 / 335
    Another bastardization of the english language, is anything fast here ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    NowandThen

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I think you are confusing a few things here. The term "fast food" is considered a common word in all dictionaries and therefore not a bastardisation of the English language. On the other hand, fast food has bastardised the food culture in many countries around the world, to such an extent that the word "fine dining" had to be invented in order to get some decent food. And you are probably right about the slowness of the Filipinos. "Hinay lang" is their motto. :smile:

6. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +318 / 31
    My son went to 'fine dining' with his school. It involved using a knife and fork. His classmates were amazed he already knew how to do it.

On acronyms, how about: PDRRMCO, DCDRRMCO, NDRRMCO. These are all levels of disaster risk reduction management committee offices (got to love it!), being provincial, Dumaguete City and National. You see the first two often on the sides of vehicles here. Not one person I have asked knows what they mean. Completely pointless, but someone thinks that they are important.

As an aside, I have recently come across: NACC and RACCO (I wonder why they left the 'O' for Office off the end of the first one?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,630 / 2,895
    GTASJATWFIU
    SSOOS
    TIAWOTC?
    GUALAIWPYBNW
    FFITBITW
    GTSHACOMD
    WITCB?

Give them a simple job and they will f*ck it up.
    Sorry sir out of stock.
    There IS a world outside this country?
    Give us a loan and I will pay you back next week.
    Filipino food is the best in the world.
    Go to school here and come out more dim.
    Who is this cynical b*stard? (me).

• Like Like x 5
  8. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hoots Mon! yer nae sae gid at the spelling yersel pitting a Z in bastardisation, even that Swiss Fecker Noo and Again got it richt?

You seem to be following the US way from their own Webster or is it Jester Dictionary putting in a Z where an S is required.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  9. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,141 / 335
    bastardize in British English
    or bastardise
    VERB (transitive)
    to debase; corrupt
    2. archaic
    to declare illegitimate
    Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
    [​IMG]
    Cambridge Dictionary
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/bastardize

BASTARDIZE | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary
    Webbastardize definition: 1. to change something in a way that makes it fail to represent the values and qualities that it is

[​IMG]
    Cambridge Dictionary
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/i-rest-my-case

I rest my case | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary
    WebAdd to word list. said when you believe that something that has just happened or been said proves that you are right or telling the truth:

10. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +438 / 199
    WTF is a Jockanese "fat fecker" (his own words) doing crticising an ENGLISHMAN on his use of the ENGLISH language? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1