Dumaguete Info Search

Concrete Evidence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Sep 2, 2023.

1. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,181 / 233
    Latest news from UK
    After three years of Covid disruption to childrens education, teachers strikes recently
    transport disruptions on going what chance have children got of obtaining a decent education.
    Students wanting to start University are finding lack of affordable accommodation now choosing other Universities elsewhere that dont offer the best standards.
    We are now being told that some schools will be force to close due to building quality that has shown a type of concrete mix is sub standard in as many as 500 plus schools are affected with 50 already having to find places for their pupils.
    Apparently the concrete used in many schools has only a 30 yr lifespan before signs of deteriation.
    God help those children wanting to return to a new term year to learn and become good citizens

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    And that concrete problem is likely to affect thousands of buildings, including hospitals. The problem of trying new techniques but having no idea of the long-term results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,030
    Blood Type:
    A+
    And houses, I bought a house from the government, which had concrete walls found out the concrete was poor and failed. there was about 3k houses up and down the country, the government offers the home-owners 90% grant to rebuild the houses, I snatched their hands off.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +452 / 12
    You are talking about UK, a leading country in Europe, or the Philippines, where everybody is considered to be stupid, lazy, corrupt, not thinking in advance ?

By the way, it's not only UK. Could tell you similar stories of stupidity in Germany.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 1,264
    The worst concrete problem I've ever seen was in Bahrain. There is a part of town with dozens of 3 and 4 story apartment buildings all condemned. The contractor saved a few dinars on the water. They used saltwater instead of sea water.

It's surprising to have such a problem in Europe. A friend of mine was a concrete tech in Germany (a two year college course) and there is a lot of science behind making good concrete. Who the h3ll came up with a formula that failed so badly?

6. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Mistyped? Or am I wrong thinking sea water would be just as bad?

7. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 1,264
    Big fingers, bad eyes and a senior moment.

I meant to say the construction company used seawater (saltwater) instead of sweet water (fresh water).
    Salt really messes up the chemical reaction as the concrete sets.

I also meant to say the buildings were only 4 or 5 years old when they started to fall apart.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +452 / 12
    A greedy person most probably who don't care of his responsibility and reputation.

You find people like that all over the place.

9. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,149 / 335
    Maybe filipino builders not so bad then, if i live another 40 years i will report back if my house is still standing

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    To add another easy promise to the one above: I'll be looking forward to your confirmation on September 7, 2063 (I'll be 111 years old by then :wink:).

• Funny Funny x 3