Dumaguete Info Search

Food Here

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    Lol, just come over and let's have a few beers. Can't wait. As long as you don't expect me to wear a banana skin and show my boomers.

Myself I prefer to go to Red Table during the week. On sunday morning it's packed all the time. Had some difficulty to get a seat sometimes.

Anyhow, you come over. We sit and drink and talk. And in case I can manage to understand your accent we will have a laugh. :smile:

2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    If you are a regular at the Red Table likely you will know German Peter his GF runs the food counter there, when I first moved to Valencia and started to go to the RT I used to see him all the time, one night we were there both sitting on our own at separate tables, I sent him over a Beer and this was the start of our friendship, unfortunately at this time he only had around 10 words in his English vocabulary, however we did manage to communicate by drawing pictures, he was a carpenter and I was close to starting my own house build so we had lots of common ground to speak of.

Peter did his best to study English and in less than a year he had mastered enough to sit with any group talking English and give a good account of himself, he worked with me for a time when I was building the house and I gained a lot of knowledge through him, actually I may not have managed to complete my build without him?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    That's a great story.

I wouldn't call me a regularly customer of Red Table, but I know the place.
    We are based in Sibulan but from time to time when we are in Valencia we stop by and have a breakfast. Or beer.

Most of the time there were plenty british and american folks around, but I did meet a lot of guys from Germany, Austria and Switzerland as well. Specially on Sunday morning.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I'm more than a little surprised in what appears to be the lack of interest in this particular post?

This could be done small scale as a prototype, knocking up a small frame in cheap Coco wood, shade netting is not expensive there and I'm sure this can be cropped 365 days of the year?

I had an idea to try and grow Mushrooms there, I believe the temperatures are on the high side there and this may not work all that well? however I have seen it done with my own eyes, on an early visit there when I was in Cebu, there was a place between Balamban and Toledo and close to sea level where they were growing these, they were odd looking to me like something that would grow wild, kind of stringy with small caps to them perhaps an Oyster type? Getting a variety that grows well in higher temps could be a small business venture for someone, they would sell like hot cakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dave, I would venture a guess that the supposed "lack of interest" in small scale agricultural ventures amongst the Duma-Info crowd has several likely causes:
    1. Many retirees with sufficient existing income can't be arsed to put effort/energy/money into any type of business;
    2. Small scale agriculture typically is labour intensive, and since retiree/work isn't the most logical combination people might be put off by that prospect.
    3. Some might be convinced to try as a hobby, but to be honest, the climate here makes me sweat like a pig within a few minutes of physical work, and I am sure I'm not the only one to prefer a laid back lifestyle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    This can hardly be described as an Agriculture Venture? growing a few Veggies to be used in the home and doing this in Raised beds in a shaded polytunnel is far from being labour intensive and unlikely to induce a lot of sweat as there is just so little work involved to this once the Beds and Tunnel are established (this not being all that expensive in the whole scheme of things) any Auld Fecken Coffin Dodger could manage this and I think it goes without saying this would be tended to in the coolest part of the day.

I never mentioned this before for fear of upsetting someone, but between you and I and the gatepost, there may well be an added benefit to this, Gardening is recognised as being very therapeutic often this is used as therapy in mental health programmes and also used as an aid to recuperation when someone has been left physically impaired and requires no more effort than walking.

IMHO, there is a dire need of this on both counts for so many of the DI crowd, 'laid back lifestyle' perhaps you are meaning sitting around on their Fat arses going stir crazy? you can tell from some of the members that write here that many are going ATFH's and in dire need of this therapy?

Now you Dutchie are still reasonably sane at the moment, but Beware! living in that land of stupidity this may well rub off on you?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 230
    Yeah I know what you mean....rock on. View attachment upload_2023-11-3_9-37-5.png

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Very good John, I can see you get it.

9. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 12
    Well, planting my own stuff like onions, tomatoes, carrots, leek, celery, bell pepper, chili, parsley, dill, rosemary, garlic and so on is on my list since a long time.

Actually my wife is doing that and she is pretty successful with chili, rosemary and dill.
    I have also to admit that we had countless times no sucess at all with herbs and vegetables. It's easier to plant a Papaya tree than planting parsley. Maybe due to wrong seeds I brought from Germany, and definitely due to a lack of knowledge.

Anyhow it's on the list to build raised beds. Not sure yet how to do it exactly. Still looking for a good solution to arrange shade. Don't know yet how to do that but I am sure Youtube will help.

10. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    hey PatO and other beef chewers.

i eat a fair amount of beef and feeling that the nutrients in beef are a valuable part of a persons diet, i purchased a Tisan meat grinder to make the local beef edible. yes... i have all my teeth.

however, i recently stumbled on how to tenderize beef and i haven't looked back (at ground beef).

How to Prepare Beef for Stir-fry
    https://thewoksoflife.com/prepare-beef-for-stir-fry/

so, i've been tenderizing beef, daily, in a baking soda slurry for a couple of weeks and i'm still learning but it's changed my eating habits.

pork, btw, tenderized with baking soda, is delightful.

anyone wanna buy a like new Tasin TS-102AL meat grinder? same one used in the public market.

• Informative Informative x 1