Dumaguete Info Search

Moving to Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by gecko, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gecko

gecko DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    My name is Steve McGinnis, also know as Gecko. My wife, kids, (9 and 10), and I are moving to Dumaguete in November of this year. We will be looking for a place to rent, preferably, three bedroom. We are also looking into putting the kids in the Silliman University Elementary School. Any thing else any one wants to know, just ask.

Gecko

2. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Welcome

Hi, Steve, and welcome!! I have a couple of questions, where are you right now and where are you from originally? We moved to the Philippines from the US a year ago, and just moved to Dumaguete from Manila 3 months ago. Our 11 year old daughter LOVES Silliman, so we are very happy about that!! I would highly recommend you making arrangements to stay in a hotel or resort for awhile, and look around at what is available to rent. Many of the hotels and resorts offer long-term rates. Good-Luck on your move!!

3. OP
    OP
    gecko

Retired
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Moving to Dumaguete

OK. I guess I should write a short biography, I was born in Topeka, Kamsas. My family moved to Southern California (Van Nuys), when I was a boy, I graduatrd frm high school in California, and joined the Air Force. After serving four (4) years in the Air Force, I moved back to Kansas. A few years later I went to visit my Mom in California and ended up moving back there, Then a few years later, I moved again back to Kansas (Fort Scott). My Mom then moved to Texas, and when I went to Texas to visit her, ended up moving to Texas, Georgetown). Here I met my beautiful Philipina, and got married. She is from Veruela, in the middle of Mindanao, but we decided to move to Dumaguete for various reasons. I have a reservation at the Check Inn, but if you can recommend a better place I am all ears. Also, if you can get me the e-mail of the admissions person at Silliman University Elementary it woud be greatly appreciated. Gecko

4. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Silliman University

Hi Steve,
    Well, we were neighbors all our lives!! I was born and raised and lived all my life in Oklahoma!! I met and married a filipino man 12 years ago....that is how I ended up here. Here is the email of the office of the registrar at Silliman University: ora@su.edu.ph
    Also, the school has a website that might have info you need, I know you can download admissions application there, too. Silliman University, Dumaguete City, Oriental Negros, Philippines
    Good Luck!!

5. draude

draude DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guys,

Thank you for choosing dumaguete.

6. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,177 / 233
    It messages like the above that make this the City of Gentle People
    Thank you Draude.......regards JB :wink:

7. sekmom

sekmom One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, I live in Kansas and have tracked you down (hopefully). We are interested in your lot at Fort Scott Lake (if you are the right owner and would consider selling). - hopefully I have the right guy !!! I live Girard and our telephone cooperative doesn't allow me to call outside of the USA but if you have a way to call me I would be glad to give my phone number. thanks Pam pamf@ckt.net

8. jimf

jimf DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    Hello Steve,
    My name is Jim Ferrante, just wanted to introduce myself and to say good luck to you and your family.
    Seems we have similar pasts. I was born in Massachussetts and my family moved to the Valley when I was a tot. I was raised in Canoga Park, and graduated from Canoga High. I then joined the Air Force and put in for Clark...of course! But, they sent me from LA to Sacramento and that's where I am today.
    I am definitely looking forward to buying you a San Miguel one of these days!

9. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    This is getting too interesting. A casual perusal of the recent posts on those planning to move to the PI is without a doubt a majority from Texas. Is this a statement on the long term affects of a republican governor and legistature with an anti-tax agenda gone wild? It makes sense that with so many public services and SS being chiped away you would want to move to to a seeminly low cost place to live like the PI but where will you work, that's the big question. I guess if I lived in Texas I would would want to leave too, so I do not blame you. Good luck on your search.

10. OP
    OP
    gecko

Retired
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Jim, nice to hear from you. Let me know when you get to Dumaguete, and I will meet you for that San Miguel. As for Pedro, I wouldn't live in any other state than Texas or Florida, where they have no taxes and Republican's running the state. If you look at the way the Dem's do it, ie, California and New york, you will see why. I have been living in Dumaguete now for about 9 months, and moved here because I am scared to death of what the Dem's are doing in the U.S. Every thing seems to be going down except the unemployment rate and the National debt. As for finding a place to work, I myself am not looking for one.
    Have a nice day:smile:
    Gecko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.