Dumaguete Info Search

My naivete is wearing off...

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by onlymichael, Feb 8, 2013.

1. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I recall making some remarks on these forums about how kindly I felt towards Dumagueteans (Filipinos).

Well that's still mostly true after having been here a good part of a year. But my view of the Philippines in general is changing as I see the dirty side of how Foreigners are treated here by those in authority.

I've read a few threads, including this one about a Reverend that was shot by an Filipino ex-cop apparently without cause http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/dumaguete-city/incident-dumaguete-4881-2.html

Then I began wondering how the media such at ABS-CBN Dumaguete (DYMA-TV) report on stories about Foreigners arrested or harmed for dubious reasons. In the US when those in authority discriminate and mistreat minorities, if it gets on tv news often there is some corrective action from the media pressure. But here, I bet they just go about business as usual? Also of note is the high number of journalists killed in the R.P. Journalists Killed in Philippines - Committee to Protect Journalists

Without probing in depth looks like they do try to report both sides of the story, but the problem is, does not matter if those in authority are bigots and too cowardly to treat Foreigners with any semblance of fairness or justice. Kind of unfair when you consider all the Filipinas who move to America and are treated mostly equally by the U.S.

I have heard that the mayor of Davao has made statements indicating he will not tolerate mistreatment of Foreigners and I wonder if there is any substance to that? He has balls I will say that much.

Oh well so much for my daily blather, I am not in Kansas any more.

(Disclaimer:Do not feed the trolls)

2. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Michael, you will develop thicker skin in the following years but it will take maybe ten until you can ignore the ugly parts and enjoy the beautiful ones, also your hearing, your eyesight and your sense of smell will get weaker and you will stand the heat better...

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Simple mind: don't forget that your sense of taste also will deteriorate as well. Amazing what foods I am willing to throw in my body after 6 years of the Philippines.

4. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    When I was here new, I did not care much about what I was eating but now I leave out any Junkfood or Bakery products, don't drink Alcohol anymore in any form and I am feeling much better now...

5. JROK

JROK DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Good to hear that the sin tax works for some.

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    By the way how is the Reverend? Is he still there, and recovered enough to do his walkabouts? Miss his photos...he was great at doing some engaging shots with the locals....