Dumaguete Info Search

New Guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nightowl2, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Nightowl2

Nightowl2 DI Junior Member Veteran ✤✤Forum Sponsor✤✤ Forum Sponsor Navy

Ratings:
    +18 / 2
    Hello All,
    Just got signed into the forum so that I may make my first post. A little info about us-

My wife and I had planned on retiring to the Dumaguete area for sometime, she is originally from Dumaguete and has family here. We have been married for 14 years now, I am 67 she is 57 and the first marriage for both of us, no kids. We retired in July 2021 on the same day and the next day we were on a plane to the Philippines. We have been living in the Dumaguete/Bacong area for right at 2 years now.

Leaving the US was actually pretty easy, we sold, gave away or threw away everything we owned except for about 20 balikbayan boxes ( sent way to much junk we could have done without or bought here) we shipped to my mother in law. We showed up with our one suitcase each and went through quarantine in Manila and I've never looked back- no regrets. Not to say it's perfect or without challenges (noise pollution is my number one peeve).

We did buy property and had it fenced in the Cantil-e area in 2015 but decided against building there, so I'm certain we will be renting while living here.

Hobbies while here are SCUBA , snorkeling, basketball, exercising, probably watch too
    much TV and we are both learning to play chess. I especially enjoy the scuba diving and typically dive with a resort in Dauin, I always go by myself and tag along with other groups. It would be more fun to have a buddy(s) to dive with- if anyone is interested
    Please drop me a line! I have my own gear (except tanks) rescue certified.

Nice to be here,
    Joe and Liza

• Like Like x 5
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,007 / 1,093
    Great Intro and welcome aboard. Clearly you are set on living here and hope all the best to you and yours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 230
    A warm welcome to the forum Joe & Liza

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    First of all, welcome to the forum Joe.
    The noise pollution thing obviously depends on where you live/rent.
    I would suggest that when selecting a rental carefully that issue can be overcome. I often refer to our small subdivision as an oasis of quiet, even if we're less than 2 km away from Hypermart and Robinson. No streetdogs, no roosters, no pigs, the only sources of noise being the occasional late karaoke party and dogs sometimes going berserk outside the subdivision, and of a generator nearby during blackouts.
    However, if you would be used to living in a very rural area stateside, then it'll be difficult to find somewhere similar here. This country has 10 times the population density compared to the U.S., and on top of that almost everyone lives somewhere along the coastal areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Nightowl2

Ratings:
    +18 / 2
    Yep, even after 2 years here full time I still struggle with the noise - they don't do quiet here!
    We have moved 3 times and it's OK where we are now but not great. The last state we lived in the US for about 12 years was South Dakota, population density of about 11 people per mi2, or 4 people per km2.
    It's an adjustment for me but still way more good than bad living here, I really enjoy my time in the PI.
    Currently looking for a house rental anywhere from Bacong to Zambo that is quiet(er) with good internet and I'm a happy camper.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,563 / 1,017
    Welcome Joe and Liza. If you are looking for a gym, there is one in Dauin 15 min. from Bacong.

7. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 335
    Don't tempt fate, we all know how things can change overnight here.

8. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 335
    The best times are when there is a power cut, plenty quiet then but also no internet, well you can't have everything :bag:

9. OP
    OP
    Nightowl2

Ratings:
    +18 / 2
    I must have missed that one, can you tell me what is nearby so I can find it myself?