Dumaguete Info Search

New solar thinking

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Edward K, Jan 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +996 / 82
    This is stolen from the Architect/Builder thread. Curious what folks think about current SOLAR. We are considering SOLAR, but not in the budget until later. If we installed solar, I would like to think of net-metering AND battery, since we would want to have backup when another "brown-out" occurs, but primary be Noreco... I have heard that noreco will not allow both those. Thoughts / experiences ???

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I think it was 2017 when my friend put solar on the roof of his house in Tierra Alta. (He has passed on now so cannot ask him). It was/is tied to the grid and he ended up with zero to pay on his power bill. I remember him saying he also got a yearly check from NORECO.

At the same time I put in a battery backup system in my house to get me through brownouts. It had nothing to do with NORECO. I do not see why you could not get a grid tie in AND THEN do an internal battery backup system without even mentioning it to NORECO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I want to start out with just a few panels for lighting and an off grid system. I believe that if you want to build an expandable system you need to use micro-inverters. I think DPX is the largest supplier in the area and I will check them out on my next visit to see what equipment they use and if they have a system size limit. I have found a decent do-it-yourself supplier in the states. They have a ten panel minimum system requirement but they ship all the wiring and parts needed for a project.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    From what I understand, Noreco doesn't do net-metering (a meter that runs backward if you generate more electricity than you use), but installs a second meter instead to measure how much you deliver back to the grid.
    Their rationale for this is simple, they only pay you about half of what they charge you per kwh.
    Obviously, this is a rather unfavourable aspect when making ROI (return on investment) calculations.
    In my thinking this and the lack of any subsidies when installing solar makes it
    a. unfeasible to install a really big system that would allow to have zero electricity bills (as in: you could but you'd not get any sort of acceptable ROI) unless a future further price decline of suitable batteries is going to happen (so there would be no need to deliver much electricity back to Noreco at all);
    b. still very feasible to get an installation that more or less covers let's say 80% of your average daytime use of electricity, while you don't deliver much, if any, electricity back into the Noreco grid.
    c. suitable batteries (4,000 plus charge/discharge cycles, built-in BMS, allowing deep discharge), so not your typical car battery, are of the LiFePo4 type, currently around 1000$ for a 12V 200 Ah. Two of those, with an inverter would probably be ok to shield you from most blackouts (not the full day "scheduled" ones), but
    d. to cover all your nighttime electricity use in this country, depending on how many aircons you run, you might need 10 or more such batteries, so a solid 10,000$ at today's prices.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert (except for the ROI calculations), and my information might therefore be wrong.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,007 / 1,093
    I have a Friend around Dauin area. He is 100% Solar. He has regretted Solar as 4 Months of the Year he pays almost 20,000P per Month to Norec0 (his compound is big BTW) because of clouds and rainy season. That is only one scenario. But real. @food for thought.

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,870 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Do you know what kind of solar panels? Many different kinds and size, also the inverter could make a difference.
    Never heard of solar panels not working for 4 months of the year because of bad weather.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,007 / 1,093
    I know the Gent I spoke of is a Member on this Forum but rarely pops in. Hope he reads this and chimes in. Not sure about his system or panels, but do know he was set back 80,000P over 4 months due to poor Sun condition in Dauin. Also his compound is very large and has around 6 buildings, homes and servant quarters. (Name is William, hope he chimes in)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,870 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Even in cloudy conditions some panels will harvest.
    Do Solar Panels Work In Rain And Cloudy Weather?

9. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Totally correct.

It is quite possible that the fellow with the huge compound sized his solar arrays to cover his bill on good days then tied to the grid so that on bad days he could draw from it.

It is totally conceivable that such a huge compound could consume 40K PHP per month in electric usage so a system that produced that amount on sunny days would likely only produce 1/2 on the cloudy and rainy days. If so then a bill of 20K a month on bad months is still in the Plus column.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Having a 4kw system here in Scotland I can say; in the month of Dec I only get around 50kw, Jan I will only get around 70 then as the days get progressively longer it increases and peaks in May at around 600kw, some very rare days when it is really cloudy I get nothing at all but if these dark clouds part and we get just a glimmer of sun this will kick start it and when it returns to cloudy again it will still tick over giving some power at a very low rate.

In a grid tied system an added safety measure must be applied, this is wired up through some sort of switching system to prevent current flowing into the mains while the maintenance men work on the lines, my system here in UK shuts down completely in a power cut and during this power cut I get no Solar at all, I guess there in PH this will be the same and batt back up just may add some complications to this???