Dumaguete Info Search

Prostate Screening

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by swampstar, Mar 15, 2012.

1. swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  2. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Prostrate cancer is what got Zappa, have your checked regularly...

[video=youtube_share;wEA6oRPSmUA]http://youtu.be/wEA6oRPSmUA[/video]

Some people might like this...

3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I have prostate cancer, I am alive and enjoy life...you can too

I have a history of prostate in my family, so it was not a question if I would get it, but when I would get it. I was diagnosed with it about 53 years- 11 months of age, almost two years ago. I have constantly had my PSA tested, checkups regularly, and biopsies anticipating getting it. Prostate cancer varies by patient, but is generally slow and can easily be cured at early stages. Prostate cancer is so slow that most people do not die from it that have it, but die from other health issues. I monitor my situation. I just finished a bone scan last week in Cebu to insure that the cancer has not entered my bones that is what happened to my brother. The scan was painless.

The cure can also easily worst than the cancer. For decades the medical professions have been overly treating prostate cancer. I know how much the doctors marketed their cures to me for radiation treatment and robotics surgery. It was not about my health but about the income they would generate. The problems with both radiation and surgery are the side effects. There are three main ones: If they injure or cut the nerves along the penis (there are two) then you may never get an erection again. If they hit the rectum area, there is a possibility of diarrhea for a long period of time. There are two muscle sets which control urine flow. They generally disable one, so you have to learn to use the other to control urine flow...you leak until you learn to use the second set of muscles. For me I could not figure out how to market to some young lady that if I took her to my bedroom I may: not get an erection, I may pee on her, and I may sh*t on the bed. I could not figure out how to sell that to a young lad. The rates of those occurring ranged from 5% to 50% depending on the doctor I spoke to. I decide on the “Watchful Waiting" approach after much research. The concept is that you monitor the situation and act when the timing is appropriate to take action against it. I have been told in my case that I may never have to do anything about the prostate cancer. Most American men die with but not from prostate cancer.

As I said I have a family history: My Dad died with it at 90 but not because of prostate cancer, my brother, who chose to ignore it died from it at 65, my other brother has monitored it and will most likely die from other issues, he is 75 you old now, with reasonably good health. I am not discounting Prostate Cancer, but I am telling you to approach it reasonably, without panic, but keep your eye on it.

There is a benefit to having prostate cancer. I determined what was important in my life and pursued those things. (Philippines here I come) I make my decisions for myself, not based on making someone else happy all the time. I value life today. The last benefit is that I can always play the "cancer card" when I need some sympathy when someone is unreasonable with me, like when they cut in line in front of me in the Philippines, I just nicely explain I have have prostate cancer and I may die before I get to the front of the line if they cut in front of me, they usually walk away thinking I am insane

4. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Dave, that's a very informed post, based on your own knowledge and the experiences within your family. I hope it helps to lessen the fear factor that most men attach to this type of cancer.

5. OP
    OP
    swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Prostate Sreening

You are obviously a big spirit Dave and thank you.

6. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Thanks...it is a little unusual but it works for me.

I think being diagnosed with prostate cancer was one of the greatest blessing I could have gotten. I have a much more realistic outlook in life. I understand that I am not immortal any more. I take life as it come, and love the best things I can find.

I do want to emphasis, I am not a doctor, but did do the research pertaining to my own personal case. I was prepared for the diagnosis no matter when it occurred in my life for me. Others should look at everything but without the fear of the word "cancer" included in their emotions,. The situation and answers I have described may not be for everyone, but they are working for me.

7. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PSA tests can warn about more than just cancer. A number of expats here have had prostate surgery or procedures done to aleve urinary problems due to the enlarged prostate blocking flow-sometimes blocking it completely.

If left unchecked, the backup can even cause kidney failure.

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    After watching a doctor on Fox News talking about prostate cancer, she said the best plant based oil that can prevent and sometimes cure prostate problems and cancer is Flax seed oil.

So I started doing more research, and found lots of sites stating the same thing along with many other health benefits. So now at 52 years old I decided to include some in my daily vitamin intake. I would recommend anyone concerned to do a google search.
    Ron

9. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    maybe you should try this...a lot says, it helps "sawpalmetto "

The main application in scientific herbal therapy (phytotherapy) is for the
    treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH (Barrett, 2004; Boon and
    Smith, 2004; Weinrich et al., 2004; Wichtl, 2004; Blumenthal, 2003; Shoskes,
    2002; Mascolo et al., 1989).
    • The German Commission E has approved the use of saw palmetto primarily
    for the treatment of benign prostatitis and irritable bladder (Blumenthal, 2000,
    1998).
    • Alone or in combination with other herbs such as pygeum (Prunus africana),
    stinging nettle (Urtica dioica), pumpkin seeds (Cucurbita pepo) and devil’s
    claw (Harpagophytum procumbens), for example, saw palmetto is commonly
    used in Western Europe for the treatment of BPH (Buck, 2004; Schulz et al.,
    2004; Katz, 2002).
    source: http://www.herbalsafety.utep.edu/herbs-pdfs/sawpalmetto.pdf