Dumaguete Info Search

Remote work / telecommuting and roosters

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by cabb, Jan 28, 2024.

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 241
    I may have to do some work while on vacation in Dumaguete, I'm looking for some thoughts on a good place to do remote meetings with customers and coworkers. I have a d*mn rooster living behind my place and I really don't want customers or coworkers hearing it during a call. Any thoughts on a remote office option or quiet coffee shop to work from? The other challenge is the 16 hour time zone difference, so it would be needed outside the 8 am - 5 pm timeframe. The only thing I can think of is a cheap hotel room.

Another thought is paying the neighbor to eat his rooster and buy him a new one after I leave. How do you think that would go over? I don't know if people get attached to roosters like they do dogs. What do rooster cost these days? Thanks.

2. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I could recommend the Carmelite Monastery of Our Lady of Maravillas and Saint Joseph, Dumaguete.
    This is really a very quiet place. But there is a catch, I think there are only nuns living there.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +438 / 199
    I had the same issue at my place - we have several roosters plus many other animals - a good noise cancelling headset works wonders - no background noise gets transmitted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Roosters are quite precious to Filipinos as often they are used for fighting, I was once at a breeding farm and there they charge P10K per fighting Cock.

Seems to me your meetings may be during Dark hours they do tend to make less noise at this time at least till around 4am, although some may start a little earlier, Btw I'm sure whoever you may be in contact with if warned about the situation may find it quite amusing? I know a guy there that puts a slab of thick foam over his windows and he claims this cuts out a great deal of the noise?

5. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 17
    Bo's coffee shop has works for me. I don't know their hours but I've been there till 10pm with no problem. I just plug in my laptop and sit in a corner by the window.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'v got used to roosters I'm surrounded by them, at the back they have many roosters on top of the A shape huts they sit on. Yes they are going for 10k a pop.
    And some roosters at the side of my house. All a few meters from my perimeter wall.
    It's the dogs including mine that gets on my nerves, told the wife no more dogs when the're gone.

7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,163 / 230
    Wow Jim,
    With all that noise and the karaoke party's,maybe its time to dig a sound-proof bunker! just a thought JB

8. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 241
    Interesting idea. I think the hours might be a challenge and I may end up being the noisy one.

9. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 241
    What brand and model do you use?

10. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 241
    I just asked my wife and she said it's for fighting. I guess that idea is out. Seems like not a bad business if you can get almost $200 per rooster. My wife said you need to train them though. How tough can that be? LOL

It's hard to know what customers might think. I've heard my wife talking to her family and it can start out funny and become annoying. I'm not necessarily supposed to be out the country. Hmm.......