Dumaguete Info Search

Ron Coselman Very Sick

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Dec 30, 2018.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,563 / 1,017
    Many of you may know Ron from his bar on south highway. Ron has a stage 4 extremely serious illness and can use prayers and donations. Ron has 4 children here. I will post when I find out how donations will be organised.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    This is deeply saddening and he will be missed. I always enjoyed the atmosphere he created in his bar. I know he is still with us, but I imagine he will be out fighting this battle for some time.

Thanks for posting this. And a correction on the name. Ronald E Coselman or Ron for short. The title of the thread has his last name spelled wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LENNY

LENNY DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +166 / 17
    YES HEARD THE SAME THING... PEOPLE DON'T COME ANY BETTER THAN HIM .. CANDLES LIT PRAYER SAID

• Like Like x 3
  4. bootlegger

bootlegger DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +216 / 40
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Not being religious in any way, I will only wish him the best, I've been fighting the same illness for the last nine years, my thoughts are with him & his family at this time.

For all male members on this forum, please have your P.S.A. checked from time to time, especially when over 40 years old. I know it is not definitive, but it is one of the few indicators that could warn us in advance of possible problems.

Cost is around P1,950 per test in S.U.M.C., I don't know any other hospitals' charges, as I only use them.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. LENNY

LENNY DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +166 / 17
    I HAD JUST RESEARCHED THE TEST ON MAYO CLINIC AND IT SAID THE TEST WAS AND COULD BE.... INCONCLUSIVE...WHICH COULD OPEN A CAN OF WORMS.... I WANTED TO TAKE THAT TEST BUT NOW HAVE BACKED OFF ?????

6. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    Of course there is the far more intrusive finger up the bum to check the condition of your prostate - not something most enjoy but necessary as you advance in years. When I was diagnosed (with skin cancer) just over a year ago I was in total denial that it could ever happen to me, someone who NEVER went sunbathing and was conscious of skin protection throughout my life. I am now a huge advocate for testing everything including bowel cancer which apparently is now the most deadly cancer in Australia. We Australians are very fortunate to have a government who pay (yes, I know - using our tax dollars) for tests for bowel cancer every 5 years after the age of 50. A reminder to all to be tested (that one not so intrusive) I have 2 close friends, similar age to me, 59 who have been saved or at least allowed early detection, by that test.

Ron is one of the truly nice guys I have met here and wish him and the family every good wish possible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,627 / 2,895
    You raise a very important issue and this is well covered in
    https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/psa-fact-sheet

I quote a relevant part: "The United States Preventive Services Task Force has analyzed the data from all reported prostate cancer screening trials, principally from the PLCO and ERSPC trials, and estimated that, for every 1,000 men ages 55 to 69 years who are screened every 1 to 4 years for 10 to 15 years:
    • About 1 death from prostate cancer would be avoided
    • 120 men would have a false-positive test result that leads to a biopsy, and some men who get a biopsy would experience at least moderately bothersome symptoms from the biopsy
    • 100 men would be diagnosed with prostate cancer. Of those, 80 would be treated (either immediately or after a period of active surveillance) with surgery or radiation. At least 60 of these men would have a serious complication from treatment, such as erectile dysfunction and/or urinary incontinence."
    My best advice would be to read about it, think about it and talk about it (to professionals - perhaps not the mate at the bar) and then decide on a personal level.

My own view is that, with present uncertainties within the testing methods available, I will not have any tests and will just wait and see. This view may not suit everyone.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Yeah, I read that there were too many false positives, possibly causing unneeded worry and additional expenditures. So what else can we do? Last July during my physical in the USA my doctor ordered the test but also did the prostate exam. Still not conclusive but a good doctor can discern irregularities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2