Dumaguete Info Search

Senior Citizen Card

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by adventureph, Sep 15, 2015.

1. jerseygirl

jerseygirl DI Junior Member

Virtual Assistant
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I agree with Hans Boot and Bob1130 - why should expats be entitled to senior citizen discounts in a foreign country?

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 1,089
    I think we all agreed with the 2 Gentleman that we shouldn't need it but there is always the Controversy that many of us come from a Country where All Senior Citizens ( Regardless of Origin) have a SCD card and sometimes this can stick in some throats at times. In Fact in the UK, any Registered Senior Citizen (Men over 65 and Women over 60) Get Free medicines.

Jack:pompus:

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 1,089
    I have just had a text from a member in the UK that tells me it is anyone over 60 now for Free Prescriptions for medicines
    Jack:smile:

4. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As for businesses with low margin, that will loose money on selling with 20% discount, there is a way around it.
    The senior citizen discount can't be combined with other discounts. The senior will have to chose what discount they want, if it's the 20% senior discount or another discount offered.
    If you mark up your prices by 25%, then give everyone a general 20% discount, the price will be the same for all :smile:

5. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    There is always going to be those 'cheap' foreigners (mostly older retirees) that will try every which way to save a couple of pesos over here in the PI.

Get over it ... most things are cheap enough here that you certainly don't need to pursue illegal means just to save a few extra pesos.

If the Philippines is still too expensive for you to live in ... I might suggest Somalia next.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Entitled or not, why break a law that could land you in one of the worst slammers in the world?

According to my passport, I must obey the law of the land where I landed...

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,391 / 1,263
    I agree completely. There are a lot of laws here that are not enforced. Most days I actually enjoy the chaos here and "lack of rules".
    On the other hand I am very aware that if for some reason the government decides to apply all the rule of law, a person could be in a big world of hurt.
    I don't like pain so mostly I follow the laws as best I can.
    If you like living here stay out of trouble it's not that difficult.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,563 / 1,017
    I will not judge those who still use the senior citizen card, up to them to weigh the risk vs. reward. If they were legal, I could use one to buy monthly medication.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,870 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That's true Jack, How long will it last I don't know. NHS they are £930 million in the red just in the first financial quarter.

Health - BBC News

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I really don't see where this thread is going. The law is quite specific, so there is no excuse for breaking the law. If you fraudulently have a SSC and get this discount, then you will be dealt with if you are caught. Most of us are here because we can live cheaper here. How much would you need to save, compared to being fined, imprisoned or deported. This card is meant for Filipinos whom are struggling to survive. My response is stop being a Cheap Charlie and respect our host country.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1