Dumaguete Info Search

Time for change

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by charlyB, Jul 6, 2024.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,147 / 335
    This will probably be only of interest to UK expats.
    The latest election results show how wrong our voting system is, i did not vote but if i did it would have been for the reform party who came third in the percentage of votes 14.3% but only got 4 seats.
    The liberal democrats used to be the third party but now only get 12.2% and still 71 seats, farther down the list are the Scottish nationalist party with only 2.5% of the vote but still get 9 seats.
    Time to change this sh1te system to proportional representation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,409 / 1,264
    I haven't voted in Canada for almost 20 years.
    Canadians tend to flop back and forth between parties. One party will upset a lot of people so it will be one of the other parties for a term.
    The worst upset I remember (+_~) was the Progressive Conservatives. The Mulroney government went from a strong majority to a single seat in Parliament. The PCs were not even an official party anymore. Winning 1 out of 338 seats gives you an idea just how bad they were.
    It seems the Brits can be flexible to.

3. aldinlapinig

aldinlapinig DI Junior Member

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +57 / 4
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Totally with you on this. As a UK expat, it's maddening to see how the votes don’t reflect in the seats. I voted for the reform party too, and it's frustrating that they only got 4 seats despite a decent percentage of votes. Meanwhile, the SNP and Lib Dems get way more seats with fewer votes.

4. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +324 / 31
    It seems to me the 'first past the post' is doing its job then.

5. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,147 / 335
    here in the UK, the Prime Minister’s statement that “there is a budget coming in October and it’s going to be painful…those with the broader shoulders should bear the heavier burden”, has prompted yet more speculation about how much tax revenues will rise and which taxes will be increased
    So i take that this means sensible people who have lived within their means and managed to save a bit of money for retirement are going to be raped and pillaged and the wasters get a free ride, oh i forgot about all the boat comers' "refugees"

• Like Like x 1