Dumaguete Info Search

URGENT: Have you 0 Negative blood?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by tomhelenscott, Mar 12, 2012.

1. tomhelenscott

tomhelenscott DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a foreigner in Holy Child Hospital who urgently needs a blood transfusion. His blood type is O Negative. This is a fairly rare type. If anyone reading this has O Negative blood or knows anyone who has, please let me know - either by posting here or by sending me a private message.

Many thanks.

Tom

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Try to pm KTM, he is a Di member, I think he may be able to help.
    Ron

3. OP
    OP
    tomhelenscott

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. Will try.

4. OP
    OP
    tomhelenscott

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to a suggestion from expatron, I managed to find a donor who very kindly went immediately to Holy Child Hospital.

Unfortunately it seems the blood must come from someone aged 55 or under! I have no idea why.

So we are still looking for a donor. If anyone knows of someone with O Negative blood, aged under 55, please let me know. Or text or call Jane on 0948 566 0026.

Many thanks.

Tom

5. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Seems old blood would be better than loosing a life with no blood.

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Must be 55 or under...That's ridiculous....sorry to hear the donor didn't make it past the Holy Child clown-show audition. I'm 60 and donate often with the Red Cross down here. Sometimes I see other people older than me donating...other times - they are all older than me. If oldies didn't donate here - we'd be stuffed for blood supplies. There is no medical reason for the 55 or under crap...as long as they pass the screening process (no blood thinners, trendy diseases, etc)...

7. OP
    OP
    tomhelenscott

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I must say I was surprised by the age stipulation. Never heard of that before. My gut feeling, too, was blood is blood; what does age matter? Is there anyone on the forum who's a doctor - or has some medical knowledge - who can offer any explanation?

Just had a text from the guy who tried to give blood. He writes: "He already received three batches of blood - from an Iranian, an Italian and a Filipino. He told me he needs only one more".

I am trying to find out whether one of those donors can donate again, or whether they need to find a fourth donor.

Tom

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Good luck - hope it ends well for the patient! I just checked on our Australian Red Cross website (was curious myself). The age limit here for blood donations is: 81. I suggest that Holy Child is being a bit precious....

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Your friend can sign that the blood of the guy is OK and he takes the risk.

normal screening and donating after that.

10. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +678 / 92
    panamá had similar age limit restrictions for blood donations, i wonder if the concerns are that older folks tend to be running on medications. owner consent makes sense to me but not to the hospitals there.

norm : ))~