Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion What products would you like? Feeler

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Rye83, Mar 28, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It sounds like you used the priority mail flat rate boxes. I think that shipping for my purposes is going to largely depend on the supplier and the methods they are willing to ship from. It looks like I will need to ship to Johnny Air in the US, have them send the items over and then make a run to Bacolod to pick up the items. This is for the groceries, other items I am thinking I can have shipped straight to me. I am thinking about also getting some electronics that can only be purchased in the US. (with a US GEO code on it, such as the Nexus 5 and 6 and the Nexus Tab). When I was in the Philippines looking for high end electronics/phones I was really taken back by the prices. FYI: The nexus 5 in the US cost me around $380 without a plan the closest equivalent in the Philippines was the LG G2 which was right around $1000. I would of course need to make a profit but it wouldn't be anywhere near triple the price.

I do already have the shop installed on DI and pretty much ready to go. I just need to start getting some products in and listed. I will start to order some grocery products and a few other non-expensive items as a test run for the shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Of course my internet has went down again and I'm stuck on mobile so I can't get sh*t done. $400 a month for this crap!

3. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    what's a duma based online store?
    are you thinking of stocking a few good sellers in a storefront and also taking orders for onesy-twosy items and you order them online and consolidate the items in the states, then bb box them to duma?

good luck in whatever you attempt, wrye, if this forum is any indication, you're the guy that can do it!

here's a few items i could do with:
    - Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Corn Grits, Polenta, 24 Ounce Packages (Pack of 4) large flake
    - sun dried olives

- tubeless tire repair kit
    - 1/4-Inch by 18-Inch Bellhanger Drill Bit
    - Victoria Corn Grinder by Corona

to the tortilla chip requesters:
    have you tried the Casa de Tortilla Nacho Chips at hyper and lee plaza. the unsalted chips satisfy my chip addiction and they've been ''in stock'' for at least 6 months. you can test for crispness by gently squeezing the bag to see if it collapses.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have installed an online store to Dumaguete Info. I just don't have any products on there yet (aside from advertising packages for DI). I still need to fine tune the look but you can see it here: Dumaguete Info Store

I just installed this yesterday so I'm just now figuring out how it works and started editing the look of it so I'm sure I will find some more features and fine tune the look a bit later. (I'm not very good with CSS/webdesign so that might take awhile) Obviously, what is in the slider will be replaced with products and will look more like a real eCommerce store once those are there. Once I start getting products in stock I will add a tab to the forum and main website linking to the store.

I'm am trying to get an idea of what items I should stock on it in this thread. Once I have a good list of products that I will keep in regular stock I will go out in search of suppliers, preferably ones within the Philippines/Asia. I would like to avoid shipping things from the US to keep the overhead and hassle of that down. I will most likely hire someone to do home deliveries and pay them per delivery. Maybe 50-100 pesos to bring your purchases to your home depending on how far you are from wherever I keep the inventory. People living outside of the Dumaguete area I will ship via LBC and charge whatever they charge for shipping.

I think it would also be nice to find some Filipinos that are making their own products locally (soaps, food items, bamboo furniture, decorations, etc) to support the locals and give them a way to get more sales. There is also an option for affiliate products on the store as well so you might see tours/hotel and resort prices/vacation packages as well. I don't want to get ahead of myself though, first thing is getting a good list of products that I can keep in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeB

MikeB DI Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 8
    Bleu (or Blue) Cheese dressing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    Love the idea and wishing success. Maybe this will become a first world country after all! Chinese ingredients for cooking in house would be a plus. Lee Plaza has the basics and best selection.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    only one thing I really miss: rolling cigarette tobacco from netherlands like Drum, Van Nelle, Javaanse Jongens or even Samson:mad:

8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    You can buy some of the rolling tobacco in sm Cebu, but it's not the tobacco that's over priced it's the papers. P150 + per packet.

Edited to say a couple of months back they also had some in robinsons at the small kiosk.

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 1,089
    A Couple of years ago, we had a thread on "Cigars" and where we could find where to get them, It transpired that there were a couple of places that you could get rolling tobacco from, I will try and locate that thread if I can and put it up.
    One place in particular even had "Golden Virginia" but with this Anti/Non Smoking Ordinance in Dumaguete, many Places no longer sell Tobacco related things So maybe they do not exist any more.
    Not too sure what the regulations would be though on Importing Tobacco.

JP :bag: :cigar:

10. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35

This is a brilliant idea! i don't need SnR anymore...i'll be your regular customer then. For the meantime, here's what my husband's list; Parmesan cheese,cream cheese,gruyere,bottle black pepper,wines(below 500pesos/btl),whole peeled tomato sauce,parley,dill,basil,liters of olive oil virgin and non virgins,fresh milk,instant oatmeal,ground coffee,chickpeas,soap,shampoos,dishwashing liquid by gallons,detergent powder by 10kls.,tissues by tons,fabric softener by gallons,clorox by gallons,chlorine for pool by 5kls. and many more..Mine is muesli,cereals with dried fruits,cranberry juice...shampoo,lotion(300ml) and white mild soaps by 10.:smile::smile::smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015