Dumaguete Info Search

When Your Dog Dies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Aug 13, 2024.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,576 / 1,017
    I have a couple local dogs, who like me, are getting old. So I am wondering:
    What is the expected life of a local dog?
    What do you do when they pass?

2. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +501 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My dog is 12 years old now, and can still chase any intruder. When he passes we'll bury him in the garden (we have about half hectare) . Cover the grave with large stones to make sure it can't be disturbed.

• Like Like x 5
  3. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +261 / 142
    "the Askal, who typically enjoys a lifespan between 15 to 20 years. In the world of canines, this is a good long life."
    https://dogbreedsfaq.com/asian-dog-breeds/dog-breeds-in-the-philippines/askal/

The article does not differentiate between a cared for Askal and one spending its whole life on the street. Since they used enjoys to describe the life span I might infer they are referring to cared for pets.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. aldinlapinig

aldinlapinig DI Junior Member

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +57 / 4
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Local dogs usually live about 10-15 years, though it can vary a lot. When my old pup passed away, I ended up burying him in the garden where he loved to run. It felt nice to have him close. Some folks go for cremation or even find a pet cemetery. It’s really personal—just do what feels best for you and gives you some peace.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,876 / 1,029
    Blood Type:
    A+
    We have two Askals and a Maltese terrier, all 10 years old. I'm guessing the latter will go first. All are well looked after. Just hope they don't all pass together.
    They get plenty of exercise in a large garden and a three story house which they run up and down.
    We will be burying them in the garden when the time comes.

• Like Like x 5