Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Forum: COVID-19

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The average age of a country's population and ability/willingness to give mass testing is likely a big factor in the death rate. The older a country is the higher the death rate will be in that area. Developed counties generally have an older population and will be hit harder with deaths. However, developing countries with poor access to healthcare may also have higher numbers because they can't treat basic symptoms.

The US is in a bad position because they have an older population and also doesn't give access to quality healthcare to everyone like most developed countries do. I think it is time the people demand universal healthcare from the government. All politicians should have their government provided healthcare stripped from them until they can provide the same to their voting base. These monsters saying this isn't a time to talk about or politicize this should be taken to the nearest tree and hung from it.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    call it a senior moment:
    i was thinking the EQ doesn't go into effect until monday, so i went into Duma from Sibulan this am to give getting some groceries one last try before the color pass thing takes effect.

i got on the Diversion rd about 8am and i was the only vehicle on the road until the turn off at Magatas where, to my surprise, there was a checkpoint. i was asked for ID, my EQ pass and destination; i told them Lee Plaza. no answer when i told them i thot the EQ didn't take effect until monday and i was released.

a tire disinfection station is set up just before Camanjac central and a checkpoint at the Camanjac intersection by the school. my temperature was taken and i was released.

i took Rovira all the way to Hibbard and then to Lee Plaza; still hardly any vehicles, even when crossing the hi-way, never seen anything like it. got to LP and only a couple of bikes in the bike parking area in front of Union Drug; no attendant. where is everyone? maybe i need to start listening to the radio.

parked and looked towards Robinsons and no line on the sidewalk, so i figured they were closed. went to LP and lines on the sidewalk but not all that long, maybe 50 people (amazing!). got let into LP at 9am and got my necessities; stocks are down considerably; no lines at check outs. looked at Rob's entrance when back on the rd and they we open but no lines.

went to Yan Yan and no lines at entrance or checkouts. wow!

stopped at the Daro market to get some red tomatoes, seniors can't get in, so i walked along the fence looking inside until i saw a vender with red tomatoes. i was about to holler at the vender when a (senior) vender saw me and asked what i wanted, got it for me, handed it over the fence and i was on my way.

i normally don't ride the hi-way between Sibulan and Duma but i thot i've give it a go since traffic was minimal.
    there was a checkpoint and tire wash before the airport, in the southbound lane: short line.. also, a bike was being hosed down at the checkpoint.

had a relaxing ride to Sibulan, for a change. passed the Sibulan public mkt; no lines.

no color code restrictions all the way, maybe they are waiting for more passes to get circulated.

ABSOLUTELY the best shopping trip i've taken to Duma in 9 years, hope yours is the same...

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My partner and her son gave up on PAL flights Manila to Dumaguete after 3 cancellations all at the 11th hour.... and got tickets on the 2GO Manila to Duma ferry St Michael the Archangel... 26hrs but is not cancelled like the airflights.

It left Manila last Thurs and arrived Friday 3pm. They were met by local IATF staff full PPE outfits... temp checks and documents checked before being taken to the LGU quarantine location of choice for 14 days.... free in city gym or a school or LGU monitored hotel at your cost.

The hotel she is in is strictly controlled with no one allowed to leave their rooms. Food can be from family or the hotel... it is placed on a chair outside each door and they knock and leave. I have been taking food and fruit in daily as there is no refrigerator (groan). I bring to reception after a foot bath and hand sprayed with alcohol and give the LGU guard the room number. Empty containers bags etc cannot leave the room until quarantine finishes.

I outline this to illustrate controls on LSI's returning are strict...in our case.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Nothing much to complain about. d*mn hot out, locked in, occasional brown out, occasional no water, very slow internet, out of wine, going to town painful, smelly fish cooking every night, wife starting to nag me.
    The good news: still above ground

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  5. Mark K

Mark K DI Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 106
    The big problem here is so many people don't seem to care.

They will wear face masks in the city centre, but as soon as you step outside to any barangay the masks come off.

There is a little social distancing in places where it's compulsory and monitored, and almost none of this where it isn't.

The majority say they don't want to their kids to go back to school but will happily let them all round outside and play with others in the local community.

Many Filipinos have told me they are not worried about the virus, just being fined by authorities.

They abide by the ridiculous backrider policy in downtown, but go a few km outside and there are 3 or 4 on a bike without masks, shields or helmets.

Parties/ gatherings everywhere, as long as there are no police nearby.

Might as well just let everyone get back to normal and get on with life. At least then they might stop asking me if they can borrow some money!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    To the inventor of the backrider shield:
    upload_2020-8-2_15-32-52.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    None of us including the Philippines government were prepared for this epidemic. It must be extremely difficult to think of all the repercussions when you quickly have to take strategic steps to address this calamity so I can understand the government making multiple changes as necessary. There may not be a “perfect solution” so making modifications as we move forward and see what is working and what is not is going to happen and we need to be flexible and smart. Let’s hope the next 14 days will put us ahead of the curve. Painful but necessary.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You can try to play that game if you want but you know the rules are going to apply to you as well.

I never understood why some have such sour grapes about that senior citizen discount. If you can't afford to support yourself the same as a local can then you have no business living overseas. The senior citizen discount is there to help seniors in a less than optimal financial situation (and have likely been in that situation their entire life). You, as a guest in the country, that came on your own freewill should not be in such a situation and resort to what is essentially being a foreign beggar with a massive sense of entitlement simply because you have managed not to die for 65+ years (it is really not an accomplishment). Most of these small business owners are barely scraping by themselves. I would personally be embarrassed to ask someone much less fortunate than me for a discount like some kuripot trash foreigner that just stepped out of the trailer park for the first time in my life. But that's just me...

• Agree Agree x 11
  9. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    Recent Experiences on Entering Philippines:

Covid test required with negative result - either antigen test no more than 24 hours before flight or RT-PCR test no more than 48 hours before flight. Antigen tests are much cheaper, I found. Had test kits delivered to an address, took tests (all negative), took photo of test result and sent off with photo of passport. Result certificate received within 10 minutes. Printed them off and no questions asked on arrival.

Arrival in Phils requires:

1. Negative Covid test as described above.
    2. Registration on One Health Pass. Be careful with this - can only register within 3 days of travel and if you make a mistake, as I did, some things cannot be retrospectively changed through the 'Edit' section of your profile details. Print off or save to phone the QR Code page that is sent via email.
    3. Make sure you have VaxcertPH certificate.
    4. KEEP YOUR BOARDING PASS(ES). Several travellers I overheard falling foul of this. BOQ will stamp the boarding pass after checking all other documents at the airport before arrival at passport control. If you cannot show a boarding pass, it seems that you get shunted aside for some other kind of check before being allowed to leave the airport.

Allow time for all of this process. If you are travelling with young kids or have disabled members in your party, you will get some priority, but can still add around 30 minutes to the process, more if you don't.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  10. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Fellow forum members, I was vaccinated Tuesday with the Jannsen (Johnson & Johnson) jab. It was a very small needle, nothing former military members would even notice. It burned when they injected, but I had no ill effects until later. Having received the dose at 1000, 12 hours later I woke up feeling feverish. As many explain, you don't actually get sick, but your body treats it as a real infection, thereby building your defense. Two days later, my arm is still sore, but I feel like I'm almost 100% already.

The Jannsen jab is a 1 dose shot. I got it via the Kuwait government donating it to the US military here, but it doesn't sound like it is available in the Philippines yet. I like that it was one dose and resulted in the issuance of a COVID vaccine card. Apparently the efficacy isn't as high as the two dose jobs, but I have the card, so I'm happy.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5