Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Forum: COVID-19

1. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    I quarantined at home on my return from the UK in mid-November. It was agreed in advance with the LGU local leader of the IATF. They will listen to common sense i.e. I have underlying conditions which would affect my survivability if I were to contract Covid 19 and being quarantined with other LSIs was not an option as far as I was concerned. I just got a letter from my Dr in the UK listing these, before I left, and this was accepted. The LGU came round an assessed our property before I arrived and my wife and I had to submit our temperatures to the local health official twice daily.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    Must be a big guy, if the flood gate had to open for him!

I say welcome back, for sure he tested negative travelling and doing the quarentining now so no problem. Must have been a bad time for him, being away from home and his family for so many months.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Are you sure about that Happy?

upload_2020-7-23_9-0-14.png

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Milowood

Milowood DI Junior Member Veteran Army

Helicopter Pilot
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As an expat who lived for years in Saudi Arabia I do have some experience in this area. Real fruit juices work best of course, not flavored sugar water. 5 gallon plastic containers work great. Bakers yeast works just as well as brewers yeast however, it does leave a bit of aftertaste, not much. Leave the container vented while it brews. It will off gas like crazy. More sugar = more alcohol. Once the sugar is consumed it will stop fermenting and the liquid will slowly clear as sediment settles to the bottom of the container. You don't need to wait for months only till the liquid clears, however when you bottle or put in containers make sure you do not allow any sediment into the containers and is a good idea to strain with cheese cloth as well. Sediment in wine means bad hangovers. Aging this kind of plonk will not improve the taste, in fact the opposite is likely to occur. If you bottle and the wine still smells yeasty and is degassing then you have bottled while it is still fermenting and you will end up with sparkling wine or an explosion. Cheers.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    The article quotes "Some of the patients testing positive again showed no symptoms, while others were suffering from fevers and respiratory issues, according to the Financial Times. "

But I agree, there is far too much unknown about this virus and people need to avoid being scared by every 'twist and turn' reported on (there will be too many for people to cope with) - as well as not being overly positive about cures in the immediate future.

The pandemic is a fact and we have passed through the stage of promoting 'self protection' because if people don't get it by now then they never will (or don't wish to), to the stage of self-preservation in terms of obtaining food supplies. The big picture is out of our hands - that is up to governments and the scientific teams racing to find treatments.

We are really very lucky to be in this country at this time rather than our homelands in most cases. We just have to accept and do the best we can - the Forum once again has proved its value in keeping people informed on all aspects of life in this very unusual time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mikal

Mikal DI Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 12
    [​IMG]

I think the question is actually 'will our quarantine be extended?' 2 or 3 days ago I was still convinced that an extension of the ECQ was pretty much a certainty. Now I'm not so sure. That chart above is updated and published each day, and there's been a very clear and strong trend. Now regardless of what we may think of the numbers validity, I think these are the numbers that the government is managing by. I think it's going to be difficult to extend the ECQ when these numbers are all zeros, and we're getting there quite quickly.

I also saw something today (although it was from the 7th) about Dumaguete City Hall being disinfected prior to the resumption of services on the 13th. I still haven't seen any indications that Duma Mayor Remollo was ever in a hurry to shut things down.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that the ECQ might not be extended after all. At least in it's current form. Still need to keep the provincial borders closed of course, and maybe we'd just go back to whatevertheinitialquarentinethingywascalled, but it would be nice to see things loosen up a bit within the province...

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I know you are a smart guy but you have no evidence that the very short-term gain of vaccination (a gain needing boosting after only 6 months) is greater than any long-term effects. We have to hope there are no serious long-term effects but we currently have no evidence.

Anti-vaxxers are usually regarded as those who refuse all vaccines - in the case of Covid there are many people who have had a host of vaccines in their lifetime but are refusing Covid due to the speed with which vaccines were produced and the absence of long term evidence. They should be termed anti-Covid-vaxxers or perhaps 'cautious' and only in years to come will we know if they made the right or wrong choice.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    I've just done my 9A visa in the UK and the visa application form needs to be signed by a notary public (Cost £100 +). All documentation has to be sent to the Philippine Embassy as they're not accepting appointments in person. The good news is that I sent mine on the Monday and had it back on the Friday. Sent by Royal Mail special post along with a return envelope addressed and stamped special post. All this is simple to do at the post office - cost about £7 each way. You will also need to send proof of employment (if employed) and pension or income. I got a 1 year multi-entry and I think it cost about £82 (The fee is on the back of the Form 2A)

The link below gives all the details

http://londonpe.dfa.gov.ph/consular-matters/visa

For arrival in the Philippines there's a whole rigmarole but it just needs co-ordinating from the Philippine end. I'll give you more details if you require in a separate post.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I think you misunderstand the situation.

The Bar Association is going to encourage the Provincial Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) to hold an investigation, and possibly press charges.

I believe, under Filipino Law anyone can press these type of charges. So the Bar Association could press charges if they wanted to.

Although by law they can press charges in this case, the Bar Association has decided that they would not initiate the filing of charges against the APOR.

The Bar Association is encouraging the IATF to press charges because the IATF is responsible for the law that was broken.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Transferwise is about as good as they get, I have used them for around 4yrs now and they have never let me down, you get the full going rate conversion and they take a commission from you, if I transfer £1000 they will take £7 from me, but now I do it in lots of £4K and it is cheaper to do that and costs me £20 in total, I guess the same applies, be it USD or Euro?, before using them I used Worldfirst, but was able cut my charges by half when I changed, great service and would recommend them.

• Agree Agree x 6