Dumaguete Info Search

Update Best Posts in Thread: Forum Software Updates

1. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    If it were my forum, I would want it to be a nice place for guests but I would also leave something missing for them because I want them to set up an account and join/ log in to enjoy all the benefits. I would want to sell advertising and it would be easier to show the exposure someone's ad would gain by advertising on the site if people joined and logged in regularly.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. DGTXPAT

DGTXPAT DI Junior Member

Trucker
    Ratings:
    +50 / 14
    Blood Type:
    B+
    My eyes are getting worse I guess since I didn't notice any changes. All looks great to me and glad to be a lurking member from the States. BTW...nothing new here in USA except tax time !!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    FYI: 2 Step Verification has been added to the default forum software. I will be deleting the modification that I had installed that provided that option. You will need to set up your two step verification again if you had previously setup that option. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you don't have to do anything to your account. Only a couple members had the 2 step verification setup so the vast majority of people can ignore this message.)

There were some other minor changes to the forum software but nothing seems to be conflicting with the modifications I have installed at the moment. If anything doesn't work as before let me know here and I will try to fix the problem.

Enjoy your all-day brown out! :wink:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Currently running Xenforo 1.4.2. I will be updating to 1.4.3 in the next couple days.

Here are a few of the bug fixes:

Some of the bugs fixed in 1.4.3 include:
    • Don't show contact details custom fields in the message template when privacy checks are applied
    • Prevent malformed BB code from being used to potentially bypass certain signature tag limits
    • Update Facebook video to use Facebook's new display/embed method
    • Adjusted the timezones phrases to handle changes from the last few years (most significantly in Russia)
    • Change the stats table to store results in a bigint to support days with values greater than 4 billion
    • Fix cached like updates when deleting a user
    • Move IEMobile detection to ensure it is always triggered when it should be
    • Fixed the smilie tabs not working correctly with multiple editors on a page
    • When creating a thread, allow the poll question/answers to be restored from a draft
    • Ensure a username is shown for reports of content created by guests/deleted users
    • Fix alignment of LTR names in RTL languages in Firefox
    • Fix a situations where, with small screens, the visitor tabs would be hidden unexpectedly
    • Do not send thread author alerts when action is taken against a thread redirect
    • Fix the user state not being applied correctly in all cases in the phpBB 3 importer
    • Limit the number of unused attachments deleted at a time to prevent memory issues
    • Prevented tooltip flicker in several places

A lot of that has nothing to do with the front end and you shouldn't see much of a change.....and I hadn't even noticed many of those "bugs". Just an FYI. Should only take a couple minutes for the update to be completed.

Once I have updated the forum software I will be updating the forum theme as well. Depending on how smoothly that goes you shouldn't notice many changes there either. You might see some things placed a little differently and some of the mods I have might go away for a bit, but everything should be back in place in no time if something does go wrong.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Been away for a few days and it's the first thing I noticed. I like it. It looks very aesthetically clean and bright. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Alright. I think understand now. You want to go to the most recent post made in a thread and not the first message you haven't read yet (or just to the top of the last page of trheads).

That is already possible on the forum. To go to the most recent post:

While in the New/Recent Post tab you have to click on the date under the name of the last person to make a post:
    Screenshot (417).png
    (Note: This only works if you are logged in to the forum. Guests do not have this option for some reason.)

If you are on the main forum page you just click the link next to "Latest".
    Screenshot (416).png
    (Note: this does work for guests.)

The forum you linked above does not have any "Latest Post" near the thread title/page number for me. The only way I could get to the latest post there was so go to the same area as I posted above here. That forum software is phpBB, which doesn't include a "Latest Post" in the location:
    Screenshot (419).png
    Pretty much identical to DI minus the tiny arrow:
    Screenshot (422).png

I have licenses for Xenforo, vB 4/5 and IPB and none of them have it either, but I'll have a look at the templates and see if adding the link would be possible.

(Unless I'm just way off base here and still not understanding what you are talking about.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Forum software has been updated. I'm not sure what you guys are seeing with the theme/colors. Secondary colors have changed a bit for me. If anyone has a problem with the theme I think I can make the old one available.

Haven't noticed anything different with the software yet. If you run into any problems let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just renewed the Xenforo software license for another year and will be updating the software to 1.5.4 (currently we are at 1.5.0). This update will also include the Media Gallery feature:

The Media Gallery is an official XenForo add-on that allows you and your users to create galleries of images and videos, integrated into your forum. Media may be added to admin-created categories or users may create their own albums with full privacy controls.

Media can be interacted with through likes, ratings and comments. Users can even tag other users in their images. Media can easily be shared or embedded into posts with a custom BB code. Further customization of media can be done through a tagging system and custom fields.

The Media Gallery is fully integrated into XenForo, including full permission control, moderator logging, manual approval, inline moderation, reporting, recent activity and a fully responsive design.
    You must have be running XenForo 1.3.0 or newer to use this add-on.

The "User Album" link at the top might be going away with the Media Gallery installation. If you have uploaded something there and don't want to lose them please make sure to save them on your computer. Not sure what this Media Gallery looks like or how it is interconnected with normal posting functions, we'll just have to find out once it is installed.

I'll start the update once I am confident my internet connection is stable enough to upload the files to the server. These updates usually take around 15-30 minutes (and the forum will be down for that time).

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I will be updating the forum software tonight. The site will go down for an hour or so while this is happening. There is always a chance that after upgrading some features or changes I have made on the forum won't work. Not sure what the changes in the update are yet (likely minor) but it's best to keep up with the updates as they come out. Just FYI.

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sorry about the long update this morning. Fell asleep while waiting for the files to upload. Running Xenforo 1.5.14 now.

I noticed that Xenforo 2.0 (the newest version) is available for developers to download now. Shouldn't be long before they get the finished product out.