Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Seed and Plant exchange for 2015

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I believe I had some seedlngs growing now of coorriander. I will check tomorrow. They may be too small to transport as the 120 pots are flimsy. Come the the seed exchange tomorrow at Andy's Private Garden south of the Mall. Alex is from Australia also. Come and meet some people interested in gardening there on Monday March 16 at at 1:00 PM

@alex
    @roodog

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    There will be a Mini Seed Exchange on Monday March 16 at at 1:00 PM at Andys Private Gardens at the end of noreco road . See Garden Stuff thread Post by Alex for more information.

Come and bring any seeds you would like to exchange... There will probably be lots of BS, that can be used for Fertilizer. :wink:

@alex
    @george

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  3. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    hi have some tomato seeds from U.S.A. 3 difrent types one marked tropical their is 20 to 25 seeds in each pac from gary ibsen,s tomato fest, i will strike some to try, let me know if you want some seeds or plants ,they are organic seeds, i also have D.T. BROWN australian tomato seeds (roma style fruit) plus aussie great lakes lettuce seeds . Let me know if you would like some

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    We have been planting seed for a couple of weeks now. These are the plants we have coming on for the exchange.

Legend: Dates are plant dates, bold type plants have sprouted in pots

January 14, 2015

Basil

Eggplant

Okra - Smooth Green

Tomato

Tomato Discovery

January 30, 2015

Broad leaf chives

Coriander

Pole sitao Concepcion

February 5, 2015

Herb mint

Market tomato

Parsley

Herbs parsley curled

Bunching onion

Broad leaf chives

California capsicum

Capsicum (yellow)

Coriander

Dill aneth

Baby carrot

Egg plant

Basil

February 19, 2015

Sweet corn -bantam

Basil

Parsley

Okra - smooth green

Water melon

Lettuce Monte mars

For tuner

Coriander

Hybrid zucchini

Capsicum pepper

If you have seed that you have planted for the exchange please post them on the thread.

If there are plants you are looking for please post that information and maybe someone has the plants growing, or will plant them or has seed. Please state whether you want seed or plants.

In the past those that did not have seed to trade usually paid 1 P a piece except for expensive seed like Zucchini. Those who did not have plants to trade, paid 12 P for a 120 size pot.

The SEED EXCHANGE WILL PROBABLY HAPPEN AT THE END OF MARCH.

Thanks for your interest.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm pretty sure the "uncalled for" post rating was a misunderstanding of Dave's post. I think the person who gave the rating thought that Dave was saying the rate giver's post was a boring reply, when it appeared to me that Dave was calling his own reply boring and wished to add to it.

No worries. There was nothing uncalled for in his post. Wax on wax off.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I've started some new seeds (should have more seedlings than my garden can support) so I should be able to donate a number as well. I had planned to re do my garden and with the kids leaving the gate open the pups expedited things for me. I had good luck with the Afghan tomatoes, okra and peppers. I had limited success with sweet corn and no luck at all with cauliflower. I think the cooler weather plants will be what I look at in a future aquaponics set up.

This time around I am going with grape tomatoes (US), various chili peppers (US), zucchini (US), eggplant (Afghan) and okra (Afghan). I think I will also try to direct seed some green onions once the plants go in. I have a fairly small area at the moment so I am going to keep it a bit more simple than what I tried before. It has only been a few days but my seed trays have tomatoes, eggplant and okra pop up so far. Chili peppers have always taken the longest to germinate but am really hoping to get them to germinate and with the weather here I think they should do well.

Shawn

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Thanks Tony, that's why I stay out of restaurants and eat out only for Chris's sake.

I will answer you here and not with a PM. This bit of info may be useful to other would be gardeners.

With the seeds you brought I have very little success up to now. It seems that I with my limited knowledge of gardening have to stick with local bought ones. I tried and am still trying to germinate the aussie ones in divers ways but not much of an outcome. Beet root, carrots (also local), leek, dwarf beans , radish, the grass ect will not come up but also with local cauliflower, green salad ect I have little success.
    What I grow now is :baguio beans, tomato, pechay and endive in the renovated beds but still experimenting with the aussie ones.
    Renovated beds bcs the well growing plants started to dwarf and die. Reason: the trees
    are now so big that their roots undermine the garden sapping the nutrients out of the soil!!
    So we took about 16 inches of soil out. Put first in a thin layer of gravel and sand, on top of this two layers of rice sack material and shoveled the soil back in after mixing some compost and wood chips (from the planer) in.
    I planted he only one leftover zucchini seedling in this new soil and he/she is doing very well up to now so do's the baguio beans,the tomato's, pechay and endive. The nursery is not thriving but I keep trying,
    Seeking more info on the seeds you brought I found out the price and how generous you were in giving them.. So, if back here come over for an other chat and lunch or dinner. Although with the A-dollar exchange it's not likely to be soon? (It's not any better with the Euro)

Cheers Jacob

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    hey dave, good to see you back on the group....

i'm interested in a plant exchange/gardeners get together.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I will probably put together another seed exchange after the "hot" weather cools of later this spring if there are people interested. Most people desire potted flowers and vegetables instead of seed, but we could do both way. I will give you about 2 months notice so anyone that wants to start growing plants from seeds for trade or bartering will be ready. Please post you interest

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. george

george DI Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 3
    Hey, fellow gardeners! It's been months and months since I checked DI and was happy to see this thread developing.
    I've been trying to grow stuff on my little farm in Valencia for four years with only occasional success. Last year, about Aprilish, I had tremendous success with about 10 beefsteak-type tomato plants. Huge tomatoes with excellent flavor. I keep a little diary of how I plant everything I try to grow, so, once the 10 plants were done producing, I planted over 60 more of the same variety in the same soil with the same nutritional additives. The plants started out very well and got to about 18" tall. Then, over a period of about a week, every single plant DIED! The symptoms were indicative of bacterial wilt. Once in the soil, bacterial wilt is very difficult to get rid of and no varieties of tomatoes are really immune to it. So, at the advice of an Oklahoma boy, I switched to using large, individual pots of sterilized soil. Only marginal success the first try. On a second try now with different soil additives.

Generally I've had little difficulty STARTING plants from seed. The problem has almost always been in getting the plants to the point where they will produce fruit. Sound familiar?

I am willing to start plants in small pots for folks if they provide the seed. It would be helpful for all of us to share growing information to see if we can come up with methods that actually work. (I'm excuding hydrophonics and aquaphonics in this.) I want to learn how to grow here, in the ground, consistently, at different times of the year.

I currently have a half dozen different varieties of tomato seed from the States. I've tried them here at my place with little or no success. But I'm willing to start some from seed and give them away to anyone willing to keep track of, and share, their results.

I'm also willing to start local varieties of tomato seeds on request and share them. The fruit is generally smaller, though.

George: 09198756015

• Informative Informative x 2