Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Vehicular Accident

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Gore pictures will not be posted in this forum, this is rubbernecking in its worst form. If Team HUKAD wants to lower themselves to being a gore page then that's on them. Respect for the deceased will be shown here. This man could be a father, husband or brother to someone. I wouldn't want pictures of my loved one's dead body posted all over the internet and I certainly wouldn't want my kids (if I had any) to see pictures of my lifeless body laid out on the highway. I will let the post and link stand in case people want information on the wreck but I am editing out the picture.

That being said, appears that the man was not wearing a helmet. It is quite possible that his life could have been saved if he had been wearing one. Use your head people. Helmets save lives. I'm not one having the government force people to be safe, if someone isn't smart enough to take care of their own body then we should let Darwinism do its thing. Best wishes to this man's family. It's a shame that his death could have been prevented.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You're right. I misread that part of the article. I still find it wrong that they would even be holding the driver in the police station without charges. I wouldn't be a happy camper if I were the truck driver. Still though, a sad situation for everyone involved. Best wishes to the guy's family. I'm sure this has devastated them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Have heard this a few times here now. Couple of years ago I remember someone jumped infront of the lrt train and committed suicide! Who was charged and arrested? The train driver. Never understood this either!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I never understood this. If the person was driving drunk why on earth would you charge the victim? I see it far too often that the person that was just going about their way and doing nothing wrong and then becomes a victim of a reckless/drunk/crazy driver will get charged with a crime. I think someone just wants their motorcycle to have the damages paid for.....since the person that rented it is not longer around to do so. (I'm curious if the motorcycle was even properly insured.)

Imprudence connotes a deficiency of action. It implies a failure in precaution or a failure to take the necessary precaution once the danger or peril becomes foreseen.[7] Thus, something more than mere negligence in the operation of a motor vehicle is necessary to constitute the offense of reckless driving, and a willful and wanton disregard of the consequences is required.[8] Willful, wanton or reckless disregard for the safety of others within the meaning of reckless driving statutes has been held to involve a conscious choice of a course of action which injures another, either with knowledge of serious danger to others involved, or with knowledge of facts which would disclose the danger to any reasonable person.[9]

Who can be expected to reasonably predict the actions a drunk driver will take?

See the full article on this law at this link.

Unless the truck driver was breaking some law by driving on the national highway I don't see the truck driver as guilty. In most countries with a reasonable judicial system and driving laws, if a person causes an accident while being intoxicated it almost always their fault (same with unlicensed drivers) regardless of who would normally be at fault. You shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. If the truck driver was breaking a law then I could see it as a "no fault" accident. Of course, I have yet to be approached by a Philippine Judge on what my opinion was on a case.

• Agree Agree x 2