Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: A sudden pang of nostalgia!

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    :headphone:I put this here as the Photo Board seemed not to be the Place as it is not about the PI particularly

:oldman: When we get Older, things that are very Distant just jump up and give you a pang of nostalgia.
    I was answering a friend of mines statement on something and Found out that PAL still have a Mc Donnell Douglas Dakota DC3 Airworthy. KLM built their Reputation on these Aircraft as many young Airlines Did. Brits will Remember DAN AIR, US members will remember UNITED, DELTA + a couple More, Ozzies will Remember the early days of Quantas. Canadians will remember Ward Air.
    All using the DC3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was particularly proud in my early days in the R.A.F to have flown a similar Aircraft that my Father did in India During WWII

Although 40+ years ago when I did, it is gratifying that this safe reliable Aircraft is still a Work horse of many Air forces today. this one is R.A.F
    [​IMG]

Of course the DC6 is Modelled on the DC3 so one can see the Success of the Aircraft

[​IMG]

Sorry if my nostalgia is not everyone's Cup of Tea but that's me

JP:bag:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    In 1983 on my return from the Falklands ( and I say this not to Brag) I was awarded a DSO, My Prize apart from that was to Sit as Navigator on a memorial Flight for Remembrance Sunday that year, The Lancaster was a 4 engined Job with 4 Rolls Merlin engines .

[​IMG]

WOW, :eek: How did these guys cope all those years ago, My Good ness, My Aircraft was like sitting in your Front Room, Obviously designed by a Woman The Hurricane and Spitfire the back bone of the Fighters had the Single 12 cyl (in line Merlin)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my 27 years R.A.F Service saw me in many Aircraft but that day was one of the most memorable I ever had.

Hmmmmmmmmmm at 6 ft and 12 stone I wonder now how I ever fitted in the seat for the 1.5 hour sorty My hat goes off to those guys that were up there for 5/6 hours at a time, sometimes longer There is not a lot of room in that Cockpit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

AH those were the days, Nostalgia at it's best.:wink:

JP :bag:

• Like Like x 2
  3. TANJAY CITY ROCKS ON TUBE

TANJAY CITY ROCKS ON TUBE DI Member ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer

Hospitality Industry
    Ratings:
    +122 / 31
    Love the DC3's Jack. One of the greatest work hoarse's of our times.

• Agree Agree x 2