Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Give senior citizen discounts or go to jail

1. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Seems like that judge doesn't know the law. Doesn't surprise me thought. A senior citizen is always entitled to senior citizen discount. BUT, if there is already another promo in play, he can not demand them both. If he insists on the citizen discount, you don't need to offer him/her the other promo anymore. Technically you could raise all your prises 25%, give a general 20% promo discount to everyone. Then the senior can chose if he wan't the general 20% or the senior 20%.
    Also, it is only the senior that can avail the discount, so it can't be abused by letting granny pay for all. That happened to us once, that they tried. They have ordered lots of food and wanted senior citizen discount. I walked over and said; "You are supposed to inform about the senior citizen discount prior to order so we can give you separate bills, but, as we are nice we give you the discount on one of the pizzas and one beer. Ok?"
    Sec. 4, second last part. "In the purchase of goods and services which are on promotional discount, the senior citizen can avail of the promotional discount or the discount provided herein, whichever is higher. "
    http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/research/Philippines/RA 9994 - The Expanded Senior Citizens Act.pdf

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think that any business owner would be smarter to refuse the regular discount to the senior and insist that he take the one the law requires. There is something missing from this story, there is more to it than someone just not getting their senior citizen discount. I smell a family/clan feud and some fragile egos in play.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Hope a great Lawyer in the Philippines reads that article and can (pro bono) the case to have the man released. Than sue for the incarceration!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It looks like he did use that as a defense but the judge was having none of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The law is the law. It does kind of suck if you have to take a loss on a sale because of it though. I can certainly see how this law could be abused by some families. (Just take granny with you any time you go shopping.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1