Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Arrogant |Disrespectful Children

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    In my opinion the best way to get through to kids (especially teenage girls) is to take their stuff and limit their privileges. Most important to them are friends, no friends coming over and you aren't going anywhere until your attitude changes. Best thing to take away are phones and computer, they are then pretty much cut off. School does not start until next month so very easy to make it hurt right now.

Shawn

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I have to agree with Pat. First need to go over the rules with the adults in the house and its your house and your rules. The lola should shut her trap or GTFO and be cut off for good. The wife needs to be told that she accepted you as her partner and as such as also the father of the daughter and as such better respect your word on things as well. This is all due to what we all know about dissenting parental figures. The kid will always go to whoever will side with them and as a step parent this is where the struggle really lies. When that is out of the way for a teenage girl in the Philippines start taking away ALL of her tech goodies and that includes the cell phone, tablet, laptop, and anything else that can be used to contact friends. Beyond that during the weekend NO visiting friends, having friends over, hanging out, and so forth. Better to just lock her down in the house as you can. Also remove ALL snacks. If its not a meal then to d*mn bad, let the others sit around and eat their snacks while she had to wait on dinner.

I'm betting she will turn around real quick at that point but make sure the punishment lasts at least a few days if not a week. The worry only comes in if she has a boyfriend whom she may be able to run off to for a few days but I'm betting a pair of mitts around his throat will fix it real quick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Take away her smartphone and all the other goodies and ground her. Make her do chores for her food. After 2 days she will probably beg for forgiveness. Make it plain that bad language will not be tolerated, and the punishment will be reimposed if she swears again.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    A very sad situation. Change her room to bare necessities. Let her know that foul language is unacceptable. Have her write you an apology and explain why she said those words to you. She left home for a bit so make some new rules when she returns. Have them in writing. Stop any allowance for a certain period of time. Give her more responsibility to earn the allowance. No gifts for quite a long time. How would your wife had responded if your daughter said those words to her? Be strong and work as a team. Have a curfew. Good luck, parenting is the hardest job, you will get through this.

• Like Like x 3
  5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Jack my friend, if you don't have your wife's support, and lola will never take your side, the problem may be bigger than just you and your daughter having battles.
    You are in a different situation than most of us here, with your wife working in a good professional job. That stress is not good for your health and makes for crappy days. The relationship with your daughter is probably not going to be how you wish it was so you have to let that go and tell your wife she has to manage her.
    Being a stranger in your own house is not acceptable and I know it is not the life style you want. Time to man up and tell wife and daughter things must improve or you will put the house up for sale and go in another direction. Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    Do what she says! Ignore her completey for a few months

• Like Like x 2
  7. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    M8 time to remember the golden rule.He who has the gold makes the rules. lets pray it does not come to this

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So you can add theft to the list of charges? Go buy some padlocks and lock that sh*t up.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432120669,1432120545][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW: my parents always made it completely clear that I didn't own sh*t when I was a kid. The TV/car/radio/etc was not mine, they merely loaned that stuff to me and could take it away at any time. I knew where they hid it when I was grounded but I never had the balls to go into the dragons den to steal it back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I think given she is a girl and her age I would tell her: "You really hurt me. I do a lot for you and I care for you. I don't ask much in return but what I do ask is that you do not disrespect me, never talk to me that way, and come back by tonight and tell me what punishment you think you deserve for your unacceptable behavior".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would have went into Hulk Smash mode and started smashing cell phones, TVs, shoe collections, cloths and whooping some @ss with a belt. But that's just me. [emoji1]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1